Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackstanding!

Trackstanding!

So, did my first impromptu mini trackstand yesterday, after having to come unexpectedly to a stop behind some nitwit who pulled out in front of me who then had to stop his car to let cars through the other way.

It was only for a second, but it defo stopped me doing an unclip fail.

I've decided it is a skill I want to learn. Can anyone here do it... any tips?
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Practice with you feet not clipped in. The trackies have a fixed gear so lock up against that and turn their front wheel at a bit of an angle. I hold my brakes and strain against them rather than just sitting passively. However I usually don't stop completely but micro release the brakes and travel increments of a few centimeters.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I make it my aim on my commute never to put my foot down so practice regularly - guarantee that you lose the balance and put your foot down just as the lights change! I generally unclip though in case I do need to put my foot down - I'd hate to do the stationary sideways topple at the front of a queue of cars! As you say it's a useful skill to have especially in traffic - particularly the type of incident you describe. Also makes for a quicker getaway at the lights

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    As you say it's a useful skill to have especially in traffic - particularly the type of incident you describe. Also makes for a quicker getaway at the lights
    I'm more likely to grab hold of a barrier or post or even a vehicle to save un-clipping, you can always out-accelerate them for the first few yards.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I usually favour crawling slowly along at red lights in the hope that they will change before I have to unclip. It also gives an advantage if the lights change as you have a rolling start- I outdragged an Audi S5 yesterday doing just that, more by luck I suspect.

Better watch out resting on other cars!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Best done with you standing, with the front wheel turned into a gradient if possible. Since cycling in on my road bike this year, have been practicing. I use the brake method to, but I am not sure that is the usual style. Have fallen over at the lights once, not fun! Scratched my bloody rear mech!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0VnQJF_WKQ

Keep meaning to practice on my lesser bike with trainers.
    "I love this cooking revolution"

I watched a GCN video, it said keep the pedals flat, turn to one way, then rock/balance on the pedals. It said don't brake as this can unbalance you, so it must be a case of what ever works for you...

I will be practicing on my MTB with trainers, on a grassy track behind the house!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I find if you don't use the brake, you just edge forwards loads. Front brake on, push against it. Found when you're standing you have more control over the frame, but feels less natural for me.
    "I love this cooking revolution"

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Better watch out resting on other cars!
    What the fook is his problem? So FIATS are bought by the anti-cycling brigade. Sort of thing Jeremy Clarkson would encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    What the fook is his problem? So FIATS are bought by the anti-cycling brigade. Sort of thing Jeremy Clarkson would encourage.
    Looking at that car, a few dents on the front could only improve it!