Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Col du Grand Colombier,Jura.

Stage 9 of the Tour takes in this climb(I'm sure it was featured in the Dauphine too?) and it looks a bit of a beast.From what I can get off the internet there's four ways up but the route from Culoz in the South is the classic and the route the Tour takes?
    My question is has anyone ridden it?
    We're staying about 100km away in August(Lac de Chalain) and I was wondering if it's worth the drive to do one(or two) of the ascents or if anyone can suggest a loop if I were just do the classic ascent.
    Or would it be better to do the classic ascent,loop around and descend to Anglefort?
    Any help/advice will be much appreciated
    Map of routes here:-
    http://www.cycling-challenge.com/col...d-colombier-2/
    Last edited by ibbo68; 21st June 2017 at 7:37 PM.

I've a feeling this features in Cyclist magazine this month- I will check later. They had a nice looking loop.

I've not ridden in that particular part so can't help specifically I'm afraid, I've only ridden the Alpine areas south of that.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Cheers!
    It looks like you can drop from the Col to the west then loop back up but a longer loop would be good.
    I'll see if I can find a copy of the mag.

I've done it from the North West (Brenaz) and from the South (Culoz) twice. It's a tough one, was very hot both times I did it and the road from Culoz is one of those exposed baked on the side of the hill sort of climbs. Great views though (shot looking South back down toward Culoz).
    Columbiere1.jpg
    Columbiere2.jpg
    Jason

Nice pics JCS!

Yes, the current Cyclist mag article is a test of three posh World Tour bikes, over a TdF inspired loop featuring the Colombier. Well worth a read, has a link to the route they used. A big day though, 120km and 3500m!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I'll try to pick up a copy later today.
    I'll only have half a day(including driving each way) but I'll probably be able to plot a shorter ride using their route as a reference

I've just found out that the climb from Culoz has been closed due to a Landslide since March and it's unlikely to reopen this Summer.
    I'm not sure whether to do one of the other ascents now or wait until next year and maybe stay a couple of days close by.

It's open

Well as it turned out it was not to be.As I said in my Tyres thread it was hot....very hot.Average days temps were 34degrees and for me that's just too hot to be on an exposed climb.The temps in Mallorca in May were 24-26 and that's about as hot as I can cope with!I did three rides in the end,lumpy rather than Mountainous and did find some cracking little climbs but was still going through two Bidons in relatively short 40km rides.I'm just not good in that heat!
    The one day it was cool(18degs) it was heavy rain and thunderstorms...again not ideal for Colombier!
    We'll be back next year,or the year after to see family and the lad will be a couple of years older than so I'll have someone to chase down!
    I can thoroughly recommend The Jura for cycling as it has a bit of everything.
    Hills,Mountains,Forests,Gorges,Vineyards,pristine Tarmac and plenty of cycling friendly villages/cafes....what's not to like?.....(apart from the heat).

Oh well, there is always next year!

Ironic though to be done by the heat, given the summer we've (not) had in the UK.