Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    First group ride

    And it will be a biggie. Going out for my first group ride and also my first ride over 30 miles. circa 60 miles.

    Aside from energy gels/bars and 2 x bottles of water/hydration powder, are there any other hints or tips you kind folk could share?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,242
    Aside from the items you mentioned, I would recommend spare tubes, tyre levers, co2 pump/cannisters or manual pump, minitool, cash.

    Perhaps check the weather just in case you may need to take extra layers or lights.

    Is it a social ride kinda thing or more of a club thing? Ive done a few local social rides and I'm not sure it's for me tbh. They were quite poorly organised and people were getting left behind and lost whilst the ride leader went on ahead. He stopped regularly but if people don't know the route and there's lots of twists and turns, it's not very helpful. I got the feeling the guy was on an ego trip anyway. Both times I went out with them, he went to great lengths telling me how great he was at organising the rides.

    Where are you going on the ride?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Aside from the items you mentioned, I would recommend spare tubes, tyre levers, co2 pump/cannisters or manual pump, minitool, cash.

    Perhaps check the weather just in case you may need to take extra layers or lights.

    Is it a social ride kinda thing or more of a club thing? Ive done a few local social rides and I'm not sure it's for me tbh. They were quite poorly organised and people were getting left behind and lost whilst the ride leader went on ahead. He stopped regularly but if people don't know the route and there's lots of twists and turns, it's not very helpful. I got the feeling the guy was on an ego trip anyway. Both times I went out with them, he went to great lengths telling me how great he was at organising the rides.

    Where are you going on the ride?
    Got the spare tubes, mini tool & cash. It looks more of a social ride with Ystrad Mynach cycling club. I know the route fairly well, down to Caerleon and Usk etc. I think 66 miles might be too much for me, looking at bailing out around caerleon and heading back. Should see me up to 40+ miles.
    Last edited by skwarczek; 15th July 2017 at 8:41 PM. Reason: spelling errors

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by skwarczek View Post
    Got the spare tubes, mini tool & cash. It looks more of a social ride with Ystrad Mynach cycling club. I know the route fairly well, down to Caerleon and Usk etc. I think 66 miles might be too much for me, looking at bailing out around caerleon and heading back. Should see me up to 40+ miles.
    Still a decent distance and nice route. Hope it goes well and you have decent weather. Will you be having a go at Belmont Hill?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Still a decent distance and nice route. Hope it goes well and you have decent weather. Will you be having a go at Belmont Hill?
    Bailed out before the hill. Body was starting to fail me and my mind wanted to slap the sh@t out of me. I'll pop the relive video up when its with me. Really good ride with the guys. Pace was much faster than I'm capable of at the moment, but managed to keep up with them for the most part.

    Here's the relive: The hill where my heart rate goes through the roof is brutal.

    https://www.relive.cc/view/1085894520
    Last edited by skwarczek; 16th July 2017 at 1:56 PM. Reason: added the Relive video.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by skwarczek View Post
    Bailed out before the hill. Body was starting to fail me and my mind wanted to slap the sh@t out of me. I'll pop the relive video up when its with me. Really good ride with the guys. Pace was much faster than I'm capable of at the moment, but managed to keep up with them for the most part.

    Here's the relive: The hill where my heart rate goes through the roof is brutal.

    https://www.relive.cc/view/1085894520
    Nice one. I rode some of those roads today. Decided to do the Newbridge route in reverse.

    Really enjoyed that and picked up a KOM and some trophies too which is always nice.

    Just had a look at the hill you mentioned. Not ridden it myself and after seeing it on Google Maps, I'm not in a rush either! Very steep.
    Last edited by Nick1020; 16th July 2017 at 6:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Well done Gareth, keep at it how about riding the course on your own, at your own speed a few times , you will become familiar with the course knowing where about you can push your self without burning out
    Last edited by Lincolndave; 17th July 2017 at 6:39 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,246
    From 30-60 is a big jump. Probably aim for not more than 5-10 miles extra each week.

    Group rides are generally less hard work, as long as you can trust the guys around you... drafting saves a lot of effort.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolndave View Post
    Well done Gareth, keep at it how about riding the course on your own, at your own speed a few times , you will become familiar with the course knowing where about you can push your self without burning out
    Something i'll be doing is riding different routes. My usual runs arent testing enough now so a change of route should help me out abit.

    There is a slower paced group in the club that goes out during the week, around 30+ miles which i will be tagging along with. Massively over-estimated my ability to do such a big distance, but i know i can do 40 miles now at a decent pace. Drop the pace down a touch and it should be alot more comfortable for me.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    From 30-60 is a big jump. Probably aim for not more than 5-10 miles extra each week.

    Group rides are generally less hard work, as long as you can trust the guys around you... drafting saves a lot of effort.
    When i was close to the group, i could feel the difference in so far as less energy used. Learning all the signals and calls is a learning curve and having the balls to go downhill and around bends fast is something i need to work on. Plenty of time for all that though. Need to work on my cardio and hill climbing seen as i live at the bottom of a valley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •