Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pembrokeshire - good roads/routes?

Going to Pembrokeshire for a couple of weeks, will be based around 10miles west of Tenby. I know we have at least a couple of people on the forum familiar with Pembrokeshire so any tips on some good roads/routes please?

(Yes Lataxe, I do have a map, yes I am capable of planning a route and also just winging it but sometimes it's nice to have a few pointers in the right direction. There - saved you 3 paragraphs of preamble before you answer (or not) the question )

I was about to reply with something about being careful or Laxative may spout his verbal diarrhoea but hopefully you've preempted him.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Going to Pembrokeshire for a couple of weeks, will be based around 10miles west of Tenby. I know we have at least a couple of people on the forum familiar with Pembrokeshire so any tips on some good roads/routes please?

(Yes Lataxe, I do have a map, yes I am capable of planning a route and also just winging it but sometimes it's nice to have a few pointers in the right direction. There - saved you 3 paragraphs of preamble before you answer (or not) the question )
    Freshwater West via Freshwater East - Stackpole - St Twynnells - Castlemartin and back from Freshwater West on the B4320 via Maiden Wells to Freshwater East again.

There are circuits to the north but you're confined by the Cleddau and it's many tributaries, along with a number of dangerous main roads carrying speeding tourists who are half asleep. Stick to the small yellow roads and work out a circuit via Cresswell Quay and Landshipping.

If you go east, skirting north of St Florence, you can find some pleasant routes out to Wisemans Bridge and Pendine. The trick is to avoid the main roads and their feeders, which are busy in that area during the summer hols.

You can go north of the A40 with the bike carrier on the car then do any number of circuits around and through the Preseli Mynydds.

Muffin will have some routes as he lives down there. I'm right to the north on the join of Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion - although I have holidayed many a year in the area you're going to. Where are you staying? Manorbier? Carew? Somewhere thereabouts?

Lataxe

Well 10 miles west of Tenby will be in Lamphey/Fresh East area etc. Entirely depends upon distance you want to cycle, if you head due west you'll go as far as Freshwater West, loads of routes around there. Heading NW, you've got Marloes, Little Haven , Broadhaven all on coast and good cycle routes I have done. The world is your cycling oyster really, the roads are good condition mostly, fairly quiet although it is the tourist season and really only problem will be the predominant W/SW wind. No "mountains" as such but plenty of decent hills to give the legs a tug. I work at the Pembroke refinery so although 30 odd miles from where I live, I know the area well. Lataxe mentioned Maiden Wells, there's a new bypass just been opened so if you're quick enough may be able to go for QOM on that....

As for the Cleddau, not an obstacle to cyclists as there is a cycle path alongside the road/bridge so you can get north of the river no problem whatsoever. This would be the way to get to Little Haven etc and definitely recommended. If you drive over it will cost you 75p each way, but of course free to cyclists .

From a personal perspective, the nice areas around there are Tenby, Saundersfoot and further west to Marloes, Little Haven etc. I would avoid Milford Haven, Pembroke and Pembroke Dock.

I live a few miles from St Davids and that is very nice with good pubs, restaurants although a bit of a trek from where you are.

Anyway, if you want specific info on a particular place, let me know.
    Last edited by Muffin; 1st August 2017 at 10:09 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

Thank you both - that's really helpful :-)

Not going for a few weeks so the silly season should be in decline (and maybe we'll get a late summer spell she says optimistically)

Not familiar with that area, but know the bit up round Cardigan well- some lovely rides round there if you follow the little coast roads... Aberporth, Llangrannog, Newquay etc Bring your granny gear though!

You might well see dolphins at Newquay- we did the other day.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Right, as it happens I did a spin out around the area this morning. Waterston - Milford - Dale - Little Haven - Broadhaven and back to Waterston. Nice little 30 miles with a few hills and a coffee stop en route as a group of us went out.

I have now sampled some of the delights that Pembrokeshire has to offer, but specifically on the cycling front - fantastic. Roads are in a good state of repair (such a pleasure not to spend the whole ride looking out for potholes), great scenic riding, lots of quite country lanes, challenging in places but not stupidly so (at least not the routes we took) but most astonishingly, the motorists are all so incredibly courteous, patient and considerate. All gave plenty of room when passing, waited patiently if necessary - it was such a joy to cycle. And people generally were very friendly - at least two white van men drove slightly off their route to check if we were ok when we were stopped looking at the map.

Plus the coastal path is beautiful and Pembrokeshire has some stunning beaches (I especially love those that are only accessible at low tide via a clamber down the rocks). I can see why Muffin spends his time either surfing or cycling.

Glad you liked it. As it happens I surfed yesterday and just back from lunch ride. Bit windy today though!

What areas did you go to/ride around etc?
    Last edited by Muffin; 11th September 2017 at 2:56 PM.

Manorbier, Freshwater (west and east), Stackpole, Castlemartin, Angle and t'other direction St Florence, Tenby, the Ridgeway etc (not necessarily in those orders). Also did a lovely ride in and out of the inlets of the Cleddau - on the East side via Carew, Cresswell Quay, Lawrenny Quay, Landshipping etc (it was a particularly windy day but we were sheltered most of the time). Didn't make it across the Cleddau cycling though we did visit Martins Haven and the St Davids area to do some walking - we need holidays that are twice as long - one to do all the cycling, the other to do the walking!

Lovely coffee and cake at Lawrenny Quay, nice food at Angle but the coffee was rubbish. Cafe Mor at Freshwater West will definitely be visited again.