Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Tyres

Having taken the best part of 10 mins to remove the Mavic Yksion tyre from my Cosmic rims on my last ride I'm looking to change them before we go to France.I've never had a tyre so difficult to get off.Luckily I was using Topeak Levers as anything thinner would have snapped
    I'd more or less decided on Conti GP4000s 2 but have been recommended Michellin Pro4.
    Does anyone use either/have a preference?
    I've had Conti GPs before(can't remember which flavour) and got on with them but have had mixed reports from various CC riders.

Also I'm currently running 23mm but the current trend seems to be 25mm any preference here?

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I'd more or less decided on Conti GP4000s 2 but have been recommended Michellin Pro4.
    Does anyone use either/have a preference?

Also I'm currently running 23mm but the current trend seems to be 25mm any preference here?
    Well funny you should mention it: I have sworn by the various incarnations of Michelin Pro tyres for years and have them on my touring bike and daughter's tri bike. However I recently changed them on my Cannondale to Conti GP4000s 2 and am firmly convinced that they are faster. As far as ease of removal/installation: the Michelins are definitely easier than the Contis in fact the reason I have the Contis was because I could not get them on to Campag rims come hell or high water and they were a struggle to get on DT Swiss rims, to the extent I didn't want to risk being stranded by the side of the road in the event of a puncture so they went into storage.

To add the final piece of the jigsaw: the 'dale came with Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL wheels shod with Yksion tyres which I soon shed, as they were puncture and cut prone, for the Michelins for a few months before I swapped those for the Contis. Oddly the Yksions were easy to get on and off the Ksyriums and the Contis were a it tight but easy enough.

Following so far?!

So the bottom line for me is: Michelin Pro 4 if you want a good all round tyre that is easy to get on/off the rim, Conti if you want the fastest tyre. The Pro 4's replacement the Power has reports of it being difficult to get on/off and not having as good wet grip. While there are Pro 4s on sale at discount prices it probably remains a better bet than it's replacement.

As to width, if you're lightweight and don't have fat section rims then 23 mm, which you can run at relatively low pressure without risk of pinch flats (mine are at 80-85 psi), will be more aerodynamic as they won't mushroom as much and will not lose out on rolling resistance. I had flirted with 25 mm for a short while but have gone back to 23. If you're a bit porky and have fatter rims you may be best to go up to 25.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 1 Week Ago at 4:49 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yup, very rim dependent. Conti GP4000s fit easily to my Campag Shamals, but were defo trickier to get on Fulcrum Quattros.

Sometimes it seems easier than other times on the same rim - must be a technique to it.

I feel oddly excited about the new Pirelli bike tyres. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/pr...ro-velo-336087

I need to get out more.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

I find the new Powers very easy to fit - better than Contis and Pro4s

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I feel oddly excited about the new Pirelli bike tyres.
    I need to get out more.
    Not really I like the look of them as well but would like to give them a bit longer to get more reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    I find the new Powers very easy to fit - better than Contis and Pro4s
    I am only going on reviews I've read but as the boy says, may be rim dependent.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I think they are great if your a F1 fan...and they will probally colour the logo in white to be 'flash'
    a bit expensive for me...but then what I look for in a tyre is grip with a hefty amount of puncture resistance ...I'm not fussed about the weight...as long as I don't get punctures...that's why my favs are verderstein extreme pro...so far ( touch wood ) I've been puncture free for over 2 years

I might stick with my first thought and go with the Contis then.

I find it strange that Mavic make a tyre that's so difficult to get off one of their own rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I'm not fussed about the weight...as long as I don't get punctures...
    We've had this discussion ad nauseum as well. I would rather have a fast, responsive tyre and suffer the odd puncture. Conti 4000GP and Mich Pro4 fit the bill because they are also pretty puncture resistant so perfect all rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I might stick with my first thought and go with the Contis then.

I find it strange that Mavic make a tyre that's so difficult to get off one of their own rims?
    Which tyre is that then??
    the cosmic wheels I got came with the YKsion pro tyres...I had no trouble removing them .....or selling them on either

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Which tyre is that then??
    the cosmic wheels I got came with the YKsion pro tyres...I had no trouble removing them .....or selling them on either
    YKsion Comp on Cosmic Elite rims.
    Oddly my mates Cosmic Carbone came with YKsion Pro and they're a piece of pi$$ to get on/off.
    Maybe it's just the YKsion Comp/Elite rim combo?