Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Quay

New Quay

Got a few days in New Quay coming up and I'm planning on taking the bike along. I've been before so I know it's kinda hilly around there, but this is the first time I will be riding so I've been looking at possible routes.

I've made two routes so far. One heading north-east to Aberaeron and Aberarth then back, and the other heading south-west to Llangrannog and Aberporth before heading back.

Does anyone have any suggestions and any roads to avoid please?

Thanks

That is Lataxe country, if he exists I'm sure he'll give you a helmetless, gizmo free guiding tour...
    All the gear and no idea.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    It's all one word isn't it?!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Got a few days in New Quay coming up and I'm planning on taking the bike along. I've been before so I know it's kinda hilly around there, but this is the first time I will be riding so I've been looking at possible routes.

I've made two routes so far. One heading north-east to Aberaeron and Aberarth then back, and the other heading south-west to Llangrannog and Aberporth before heading back.

Does anyone have any suggestions and any roads to avoid please?

Thanks
    Hee hee - you are in for some heaving!

Try the "nearest the coast" route of all the little yellow roads going from Newquay to Gwbert and back, visiting the beaches a Llangranog, Penbryn, Tresaith, Aberporth and Gwbert. You can even include the swoop-down and crawl-up to Cwmtydu (Newquay end) and Mwnt (Gwbert end) if you're feeling tough. A good cafť stop would be at Felinwynt between Aberporth and Gwbert. This is a very convoluted route with loadsa junctions so take a map print-out or some other guidance system. It also has plenty of them black arrows on the roadmap.

For a more circular route consider this little leg-killer:

Llwyndafydd - Plwmp - Rhydlewis - Troedyraur - Blaen Cil Liech - Newcastle Emlyn - Penherber and on into the Cych valley near Cymcych.

Down the Cych valley to the next left turn (going SW) and up the hill to Bwlchygroes - Boncath - Rhoshill - Cilgerran then down the wetlands road and shared footpath to Cardigan quay. Over the castle bridge into Cardigan high street, through Cardigan (LH lane) then turn right half way out the other side signposted Gwbert, on the B4548.

About 1 km after this turn, take the RH turn off the B4548 on to the yellow roads heading for Felinwynt. Through Felinwynt to Aberporth and the yellow road to Tresaith. Avoid dropping into Tresaith but continue through Penmorfa to Pontgarreg - Caerwedros - Cross Inn on the A486. Take either the A486 down into New Quay or go straight across it down to the B4342 near Gilfachreda then into Newquay.

There are a zillion junctions so it's very easy to get lost without your map. I've done many, many miles getting lost & found to internalise all these roads in my wetware.
    There are also a zillion climbs, long and short, many steep. It's not that far but still a serious ride, during which you'll see a huge variety of Welsh landscape beauty.

Try to avoid main roads, especially the main coast road A487. But all red and green roads tend to be narrow (for main roads) bendy and fast, which puts you in danger from close passes or fellows screaming around the bend to suddenly discover your back wheel 15 yards away and a bus coming the other way. You may notice that all wagons and buses drive with their offside wheels over the central white lines unless they have to squeeze right into the verge to make way for oncoming traffic. Happily the traffic is very light away from the main tourist-ways.

Lataxe

It is indeed New Quay. Newquay is in Cornwall. Make sure you spend time in the port, you will see dolphins!

Lataxe has put out some good routes for you... if you look at my Strava feed from a couple of weeks ago I did a few rides in that neck of the woods which might give you some ideas. My in-laws live in Gwbert, so I've also put a few miles down around there.

One of my favourite loops is over the Preseli- varied terrain and fabulous views over the hills and the sea. From Cardigan take the A487 then B4329 after Eglwyswrw, then right on the B4313 toward Fishquard, but then take the v minor road on the right not long after to Cwm Gwaun up the legendary Ffordd Bedd Morriss to Newport, then tack along to Moylgrove (dropping left down into Ceibwr bay if you fancy a short but very pretty diversion), then down into Poppit, St Dogmaels and back into Cardigan. Take your climbing gears. If I were in New Quay I'd drive to Cardigan/Gwbert and start there, unless you want a proper epic!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    Hee hee - you are in for some heaving!

Try the "nearest the coast" route of all the little yellow roads going from Newquay to Gwbert and back, visiting the beaches a Llangranog, Penbryn, Tresaith, Aberporth and Gwbert. You can even include the swoop-down and crawl-up to Cwmtydu (Newquay end) and Mwnt (Gwbert end) if you're feeling tough. A good cafť stop would be at Felinwynt between Aberporth and Gwbert. This is a very convoluted route with loadsa junctions so take a map print-out or some other guidance system. It also has plenty of them black arrows on the roadmap.

For a more circular route consider this little leg-killer:

Llwyndafydd - Plwmp - Rhydlewis - Troedyraur - Blaen Cil Liech - Newcastle Emlyn - Penherber and on into the Cych valley near Cymcych.

Down the Cych valley to the next left turn (going SW) and up the hill to Bwlchygroes - Boncath - Rhoshill - Cilgerran then down the wetlands road and shared footpath to Cardigan quay. Over the castle bridge into Cardigan high street, through Cardigan (LH lane) then turn right half way out the other side signposted Gwbert, on the B4548.

About 1 km after this turn, take the RH turn off the B4548 on to the yellow roads heading for Felinwynt. Through Felinwynt to Aberporth and the yellow road to Tresaith. Avoid dropping into Tresaith but continue through Penmorfa to Pontgarreg - Caerwedros - Cross Inn on the A486. Take either the A486 down into New Quay or go straight across it down to the B4342 near Gilfachreda then into Newquay.

There are a zillion junctions so it's very easy to get lost without your map. I've done many, many miles getting lost & found to internalise all these roads in my wetware.
    There are also a zillion climbs, long and short, many steep. It's not that far but still a serious ride, during which you'll see a huge variety of Welsh landscape beauty.

Try to avoid main roads, especially the main coast road A487. But all red and green roads tend to be narrow (for main roads) bendy and fast, which puts you in danger from close passes or fellows screaming around the bend to suddenly discover your back wheel 15 yards away and a bus coming the other way. You may notice that all wagons and buses drive with their offside wheels over the central white lines unless they have to squeeze right into the verge to make way for oncoming traffic. Happily the traffic is very light away from the main tourist-ways.

Lataxe
    Thanks Lataxe. Plenty to think about there and thanks for the route suggestions.

May have to revise one of my routes as it uses the A487 up to Aberaeron and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    It is indeed New Quay. Newquay is in Cornwall. Make sure you spend time in the port, you will see dolphins!

Lataxe has put out some good routes for you... if you look at my Strava feed from a couple of weeks ago I did a few rides in that neck of the woods which might give you some ideas. My in-laws live in Gwbert, so I've also put a few miles down around there.

One of my favourite loops is over the Preseli- varied terrain and fabulous views over the hills and the sea. From Cardigan take the A487 then B4329 after Eglwyswrw, then right on the B4313 toward Fishquard, but then take the v minor road on the right not long after to Cwm Gwaun up the legendary Ffordd Bedd Morriss to Newport, then tack along to Moylgrove (dropping left down into Ceibwr bay if you fancy a short but very pretty diversion), then down into Poppit, St Dogmaels and back into Cardigan. Take your climbing gears. If I were in New Quay I'd drive to Cardigan/Gwbert and start there, unless you want a proper epic!
    Will be using the 11-28 which should be ok. I do have an unused 11-32 but I think I will need a longer cage to use it.

I don't drive so if I go down that way, it'll have to be a proper epic route! Not sure the missus will be happy to drive down there and hang around with two kids who may want to squabble, tear lumps out of eachother or possibly get along ok whilst I'm out riding.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    It's all one word isn't it?!
    Well 'tis what I thought also and was going to make references to surfing but we were being thick as it is Newquay in Cornwall but New Quay in Wales.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I'll get my coat.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

You'll be fine with a 28, I get round there with a 25 on my old alu warhorse!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone