Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Quay

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    You'll be fine with a 28, I get round there with a 25 on my old alu warhorse!
    Personally I recommend the 36 sprocket. :-) However, I am no longer a monster of the quad & glute. On the other hand, my knees and hips are still working proper, without that crepitation to be heard from the joint of heaver men.

Lataxe

Been looking at some of the lanes on Google maps and some of them make the lanes I usually ride through look like dual carriageways!

Home sweet home.

Even though I expected hilly rides, it was tough at times but I enjoyed the rides. Riding back up the hill from Llangrannog was particularly hard work with tired legs and I came close to cracking on the hill from the Crown to the Peapod yesterday. I rode it the previous day and it didn't seem so long or steep so thought I would have a go the next day but I completely misjudged it. Didn't get to do many of the routes that I had planned and only ventured on the A487 between Llanarth and Pentregat. Drove with the family to Aberystwyth and decided there was no chance I'll be riding that way.

Set my sights on a short and sweet KOM climb in New Quay which I think I could've got with a bit more luck. Managed to get 6th overall, 2 seconds behind top spot on my second ride but was stuck in traffic for all my other attempts...plus on one occasion, a car pulled out on me on the fast downhill approaching New Quay which resulted in me having to slam my brakes on. He then thought it was ok to tap his brakes in front of me so I overtook him. I got about 100m ahead of him and he was then brave enough to start beeping. Then traffic slowed going up the hill so I decided to wait at the top to ask him what his problem was. He complained that I was breaking the speed limit to which I replied wasn't applicable to bicycles. I called him up for pulling out on me without even looking. He was getting a bit irate and his wife was trying to calm him down which made it even more funny to me. As he drove ahead, he got a safe distance again before flipping me the finger. I blew him a nice kiss and waved goodbye

Would've liked to have spent more time there, but we had to come back as my daughter gets her GCSE results tomorrow. We stay in our friend's 'beach side apartment' behind Quay West so can always go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    ....I rode it the previous day and it didn't seem so long or steep so thought I would have a go the next day but I completely misjudged it.
    Its odd isn't it but on my weekend jaunt with my mate, because I was going much slower waiting for him, although familiar hills seemed easier which is obvious, they also seemed shorter which is counter-intuitive.
    ......I decided to wait at the top to ask him what his problem was. He complained that I was breaking the speed limit to which I replied wasn't applicable to bicycles.
    Sounds an all too familiar cyclist/motorist interaction but sorry to disillusion you Nick - the speed limit does apply to cyclists, its just called 'furious riding'.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Its odd isn't it but on my weekend jaunt with my mate, because I was going much slower waiting for him, although familiar hills seemed easier which is obvious, they also seemed shorter which is counter-intuitive.
    Sounds an all too familiar cyclist/motorist interaction but sorry to disillusion you Nick - the speed limit does apply to cyclists, its just called 'furious riding'.
    I thought furious riding/driving didn't relate to speed as such, but about causing injury to others whilst riding/driving like a twat?

As for speed limits, they only apply to motorised vehicles and in other places such as parks, town centres etc which may have limits imposed for all vehicles including cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    the speed limit does apply to cyclists, its just called 'furious riding'.
    No it doesn't - there's no set value of speed, it's more of a riding like a twat offence

And if you read the BBC article in the dangerous cycling thread, it explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    ......it's more of a riding like a twat offence
    They should call it that - everyone would know exactly what it meant! Unlike 'furious riding'.

As for speed limits, they only apply to motorised vehicles and in other places such as parks, town centres etc which may have limits imposed for all vehicles including cyclists.
    I still think if you were caught riding at over the speed limit it may not carry a charge of speeding per se but one of 'furious riding' - perhaps Vlad could confirm. The problem is of course that most cyclists don't have the means of measuring their speed so how would they know if they breaking it anyway?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

No - there is no speeding related offence on a bike.