Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Official Tour of Britain 2017 Thread!

So, not expecting this thread to get much interest, but anyways... I always enjoy the Tour of Britain and it starts this weekend.

Any thoughts? Team Sky fielding a very strong team... Kwiatkowski, Thomas, Kiryienka, Viviani, Doull and Geoghegan Hart.

And surprise surprise, no London finish... finishing in Cardiff instead.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I always enjoy the Tour of Britain and it starts this weekend.
    So long as I switch off the sound so I can't hear Hugh Porter abetted by Brian You Know Smith or whichever monotone poorly researched commentator they choose to use and ignore its parochial atmosphere, I suppose I might as well. But given a choice of viewing between that and La Vuelta with its insightful and knowledgeable commentary, and exotic background there is only going to one winner, G or no G.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 30th August 2017 at 5:20 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I happen to be in Carmarthenshire next week and passing Cardiff on the last stage, so it seems rude not to promise the Mrs a trip to the shops. Ahem.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I'm on it! Might physically check out the Newmarket stage is it?!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Just checked, Friday 8th, I can see a long weekend coming up
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I watched it a couple of years back when it came near me. I was on a quiet stretch of road with one man and his dog and without a caravan, just a few marshalls and police outriders coming past occasionally in advance, it was hardly entertaining. I can see it may be fun if you're on a mountaintop finish with thousands of fans but otherwise I'd give it a miss, far too parochial for me for just a fleeting glimpse of my heroes. Is there no-one else who feels the same way?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    This is the problem with our sport.

You don't get 80m - 90 minutes of live action infront of you. You get - Whoosh and there gone.

So much better to watch it on a TV.

Mind you - most mobile phones will play TV nowdays so watch it on phone at road side then - whoosh - and then watch on phone again.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I watched it a couple of years back when it came near me. I was on a quiet stretch of road with one man and his dog and without a caravan, just a few marshalls and police outriders coming past occasionally in advance, it was hardly entertaining. I can see it may be fun if you're on a mountaintop finish with thousands of fans but otherwise I'd give it a miss, far too parochial for me for just a fleeting glimpse of my heroes. Is there no-one else who feels the same way?
    I know what you mean, particularly with the tourist info bit at the beginning..."Today's stage starts in the historic town of Hemel Hempstead, with its picturesque and bustling cosmopolitan centre, and wealth of cultural activities blah..."

But, I too watched a stage pass more or less past our house a few years ago- although fleeting, it was fun to see Dowsett fly past in a 3 man breakaway then Wiggo, Kittel and Kwiatkowski pass by... sort of surreal. It was something to see the speed they travel at, and then to see the entourage. A surprising crowd had gathered despite it being in the middle of nowhere, a motorcycle turned up in advance and gave us a race report.

Were I to make a day of it, I'd want to be there at the start of a stage to see them getting prepped and milling about. When I finished the Velothon in Cardiff and riding back to the car, the pro race was gathering with some riders warming up... I ended up riding down the road with some guys from JLT Condor.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 31st August 2017 at 10:58 AM.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

So for insight on the Pros and chances of meeting them, you think the start is better?

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Were I to make a day of it, I'd want to be there at the start of a stage to see them getting prepped and milling about. When I finished the Velothon in Cardiff and riding back to the car, the pro race was gathering with some riders warming up... I ended
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    So for insight on the Pros and chances of meeting them, you think the start is better?
    I believe so. Last year when a stage of the ladies ToB started in Marlow I rode out there to be at the start as I figured it would be more interesting than standing by the side of the road with even less interaction than with the men's race. As it was I misjudged the distance and the block headwind and arrived just as after they'd started.