Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Velothon '18

Velothon '18

Pre-registration is available with the actual registration date of 6th September.

Only 4 knocked off the entry fee, but for those looking to do it, every saved helps.

Anyone signing up for it? It will be my first 100km ride possibly, looking to do the tour de gwent in April, depending on the route i go for, that would be my first 100km + ride.

I did it last year- it was fantastic!

More like 140km though...unless they've introduced a short option.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post

Theres the 140km option and they are adding 2 shorter routes, not sure on distances, but i would've thought there would be a 110km route again and possible 80km?

Sounds good. What's the price and is there a link to pre-registration? I can only find "Opening Soon" on their website.

Nevermind. Got it

How did you find the Tumble?

Caerphilly mountain after 90 miles i bet was all kinds of fun

Tumble was fine, frustratingly it started raining so the decent was harder work than it should have been. Not too steep, just long for the UK... just settle in and spin away.

Caerphilly was special... First bit was nice, then I realised it was not done with me yet! Legs cramped every time I got out of the saddle, so just had to spin up as best I could. There was a spectator running (or walking) alongside giving me lots of encouragement which helped.

Special mention generally to the Welsh folk, who lined the roadsides in villages and over bridges. Presumably they were there to get good places for the Pro race following us, but nonetheless riding along in various little pelotons to choruses from the roadside of "oggi oggi oggi" etc was great fun.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Tumble was fine, frustratingly it started raining so the decent was harder work than it should have been. Not too steep, just long for the UK... just settle in and spin away.

Caerphilly was special... First bit was nice, then I realised it was not done with me yet! Legs cramped every time I got out of the saddle, so just had to spin up as best I could. There was a spectator running (or walking) alongside giving me lots of encouragement which helped.

Special mention generally to the Welsh folk, who lined the roadsides in villages and over bridges. Presumably they were there to get good places for the Pro race following us, but nonetheless riding along in various little pelotons to choruses from the roadside of "oggi oggi oggi" etc was great fun.
    Good info for me, cheers. Downside of the route is it goes past my house just before Caerphilly mountain, so there is always the temptation to just stop off home for a nap. Been meaning to get out there and watch/support for the last 2, but something has always cropped up.

Well, the pre-registration link came through today and i've signed up for the full 140km. Soon as the baby is born and home, time to start training i guess. 90 miles doesnt seem that much of a stretch, but from my limit of 40, yeah, i need to train more.

Quote Originally Posted by skwarczek View Post
    90 miles doesnt seem that much of a stretch, but from my limit of 40, yeah, i need to train more.
    Its not much of a stretch from 40-60 and once you can do 60-65 without feeling dead, 90-100 is little more than just overcoming the boredom of keeping going and being careful with hydration/nutrition so if you don't have time to do 90 mile training rides don't worry. Anyway, if you know you can do 90 miles easily then the sportif is no longer a challenge.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.