Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Velothon '18

  1. #21
    Senior Member coolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iver, Bucks
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    If I jump on somewhere on the coast road in Newport, it'll be less than 15k from the start and I'll continue to ride the long course so will end up doing more than the shorter routes and if I jump on in Cardiff, it'll only be 1 or 2k difference.

    I can live with that
    Its still taking advantage of the fact that someone else has paid for the organisation of the event and is almost tantamount to theft. If everyone chose to do the same as you why would they bother again? Anyway, any advantage gained by riding on closed roads IME is negated by having to negotiate thousands of inexperienced cyclists all over the shop and I would go out of my way to avoid it. Grow some balls and organise your own ride!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Leics/Northants
    Posts
    406
    Agree there.

    Think this has been covered before (I know I've typed it out previously) but my thoughts are that if it's just a local Sportive on open roads etc then I would have no hesitation jumping on and riding with mates. BUT I would support myself - no taking the feeds that others have paid for and I would jump off again before the end or certainly not collect a medal or other goody.

    A closed roads one is completely different. You can dress it up however you want but I think it's bad form to benefit from what others have paid for. Why you would also then consider collecting a medal is beyond me.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Its still taking advantage of the fact that someone else has paid for the organisation of the event and is almost tantamount to theft. If everyone chose to do the same as you why would they bother again? Anyway, any advantage gained by riding on closed roads IME is negated by having to negotiate thousands of inexperienced cyclists all over the shop and I would go out of my way to avoid it. Grow some balls and organise your own ride!
    To be fair, the only hairy bit was at the beginning... loads of bottles dropped, people all over the place, so needed to stay sharp then. Quickly the huge field thinned out and little pelotons formed which were all solid and safe. It was a great experience to zip down the wrong side of dual carriageways etc and take whichever line round a roundabout you wanted. Best of all, no angry little men in cars and vans, and cheery people at the roadside.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Its still taking advantage of the fact that someone else has paid for the organisation of the event and is almost tantamount to theft. If everyone chose to do the same as you why would they bother again? Anyway, any advantage gained by riding on closed roads IME is negated by having to negotiate thousands of inexperienced cyclists all over the shop and I would go out of my way to avoid it. Grow some balls and organise your own ride!
    Almost tantamount to theft eh? Sounds kinda serious.

    What if I organised my own ride and someone else just jumped on? How rude would that be?!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    Agree there.

    Think this has been covered before (I know I've typed it out previously) but my thoughts are that if it's just a local Sportive on open roads etc then I would have no hesitation jumping on and riding with mates. BUT I would support myself - no taking the feeds that others have paid for and I would jump off again before the end or certainly not collect a medal or other goody.

    A closed roads one is completely different. You can dress it up however you want but I think it's bad form to benefit from what others have paid for. Why you would also then consider collecting a medal is beyond me.
    I won't stop at abusing the feed stations either. I'll be demanding a three course dinner with the race organisers in the evening and an all expenses paid weekend away in Paris too.

    I think you're being a little touchy tbh Tom. Maybe trying to blag a medal is a little cheeky, but I see no problems with jumping on a closed road event for any duration and I have no intention of using the feed stations.

    I know a number of people who jumped on this year's event and they didn't experience any issues. That said, most peeled off before the finish line, but a few went on to finish.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Leics/Northants
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Almost tantamount to theft eh? Sounds kinda serious.

    What if I organised my own ride and someone else just jumped on? How rude would that be?!
    Depends. Have you gone through all the hassle (and expense no doubt) of closing the roads?

  7. #27
    Senior Member coolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iver, Bucks
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    A closed roads one is completely different. You can dress it up however you want but I think it's bad form to benefit from what others have paid for.
    There is a difference between riding on a closed road when it just happens to be on the route you were taking anyway (I've done that several times) and going out your of your way to take advantage of the route because its on closed roads.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 8th September 2017 at 2:14 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    Depends. Have you gone through all the hassle (and expense no doubt) of closing the roads?
    I was going to put a few bollards up. May even get some unique gold finishers medals forged.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Boxhilljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London baby
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Its still taking advantage of the fact that someone else has paid for the organisation of the event and is almost tantamount to theft. If everyone chose to do the same as you why would they bother again? Anyway, any advantage gained by riding on closed roads IME is negated by having to negotiate thousands of inexperienced cyclists all over the shop and I would go out of my way to avoid it. Grow some balls and organise your own ride!
    Is this the same CB that encouraged me to jump on this years london 100??
    which I did ...and I collected the medal...lol
    but I did give a donation to a mate that was doing it to..to balance out the karma

  10. #30
    Senior Member coolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iver, Bucks
    Posts
    10,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Is this the same CB that encouraged me to jump on this years london 100??
    Did I? If I did then I would try to justify it by saying: the roads were already closed for the pro race; it was over-subscribed and you would have paid for a place if it was available - right?; they'd already made shed loads of money from the thousands of paid-up entrants. But I wouldn't have blagged a medal. And then if it was already over-crowded it probably wasn't fair as large number of unregistered riders would have made it more dangerous. Personally I wouldn't have jumped in uninvited unless it just happened to be going along a route I would normally have taken for part of the way.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •