Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

choices.... choices... choices

I have been riding a road bike for around 3 years now. I'm enjoying and getting into it. Now I've got to the point where I'd like to buy a new bike - my first proper bike. I have been cycling a Whyte Sussex 2015, which is a fine entry road bike. Before I buy a new bike I thought I'd pick your brain. I have been researching and have a pretty clear idea of the specs:

- race frame geometry
    - disc brakes
    - ultegra group set
    - 50cm (XS) frame size
    - under £3500.

A few questions:

1. Is carbon really that fragile? I've read all sort of reports of how the frame needs to be looked after. I'm not sure I want to spend all that money and worry about the frame all the time. I mean I'm pretty good with looking after my current bike but I don't need any additional reason for worrying.

2. Which retailers would you recommend? Chains such as EvansCycles / Cycle Surgery, etc. Online stores? or small bike shops?

3. I've seen a few sales offer now but do the bikes get even cheaper in Winter?

4. I'm thinking of the following ones:

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ul...-disc-8-0.html

+ true Ultegra (not mixture of Ultegra + 105)
    + Looks
    - stories of long delivery
    - no aluminium equivalent bike

Cannondale CAAD12 Disc Ultegra 2017 (ugly looks)
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannonda...-bike-EV280308

Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc Ultegra 2017
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannonda...-bike-EV280301

Cannondale Caad12 Disc Ultegra 2018
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannonda...-bike-EV308150

Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc Ultegra 2018
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannonda...-bike-EV308128
    With Cannondale I don't like it that they are advertised as Ultegra but it's really a mixture of Ultegra and eg. 105. I'm not sure I also like some of Cannondale flashy colours.

Please advise. Perhaps similar bikes from other brands?

Thank you
    Last edited by portia; 6th September 2017 at 9:18 PM.

I have a Canyon Endurace 9.0 CF Di2. Bike itself is excellent and the reason I went for it over others was the bang for the buck. Basically the spec I got for the money was far superior to other alternatives and now it's even cheaper which is slightly galling! I paid £2649 and think they are now £2469 or something. Anyway, Canyon bikes are bargain for sure.
    As for delivery, mine came earlier than expected and arrived exactly one week after ordering so I reckon delivery woes sorted.
    Only downsides are if it should arrive damaged(mine was perfect) then you have to ship back to Germany and you cannot alter spec, basically you buy bike as shown on website. As it happened I wanted a longer stem so had to receive bike as standard then they sent me a new stem and I returned original one.

As for CF, I have a bike stand which clamps on top tube - something supposedly a no-no with CF. However I wrap bubble wrap around frame and very gently clamp it so it's held but loose. I take care of bike but then only as it's new and cost a few grand, whether it's more prone to damage than other material I don't know. I guess time will tell.

Anyway, had bike just over 2 months and it's been brilliant although I'm sure others are as good.
    All the gear and no idea.

Ribble Aero 883 Disc with Ultegra and Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheelset will set you back £2898 and you can customize that to save some money or even spec up a bit.

I have the non-disc 883 and it's one hell of a bike. Absolutely love it!

Carbon bikes have come a long way in recent years. Entry level carbon bikes may come with increased risk of damage, but I know a number of people with cheap frames and they seem to put up with as much stress as other bikes. That said, a mate of mine has a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 bike and managed to get a huge crack in the frame after coming off. It was able to be repaired but it was borderline to being terminal.

Get insurance as it may give you some peace of mind as well as offering protection to the many hazards out there.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Really wouldn't worry about CF bikes being fragile. One of my bikes just celebrated its 10 year birthday. Going on as strong as the day it was new.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

What are you going to use it for? Sportives, road racing, criterium, TTs, jollys to the alps?

Carbon is as strong as steel and much lighter and stiffer. Don't worry about it. There are various vids on YouTube of aluminium frames breaking under stress tests long before the carbon ones go.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm going to use it for all sorts of rides, I guess. This Ribble looks really good. Need to think about it.

I think the most important thing is to go out and test ride a few bikes...( are you looking for comfort or speed?)make a mental check list of the things you really want and go from there...
    but get a carbon ...coz its gooood

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I think the most important thing is to go out and test ride a few bikes...( are you looking for comfort or speed?)make a mental check list of the things you really want and go from there...
    but get a carbon ...coz its gooood
    Right. A silly question. How do I test the bikes that are being sold online?

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Right. A silly question. How do I test the bikes that are being sold online?
    Ah well, there's a problem, that's why I have bought all my bikes in the Local Bike Shop (LBS). It's dearer, but you get to test ride, and take it back if things go wrong. Plenty do buy on line successfully though, so I will let them respond. We have seen a few problems lately, but Ribble are a good make, I think.
    Last edited by Gasper; 8th September 2017 at 9:02 AM.