Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Whereas the vast majority of my cycling outside between October and February is for the commute. Only 7.5m each way and with wearing the right kit, it is doable. Not much fun, but it beats starting my beauty up and putting crappy miles on the clock. Also is less stressful to cycle than sit in the hideous HIDEOUS Cambridge traffic.

Did take a tumble last year in -3c, was a stupid mistake, one that I had known not to make but then did it anyway. The idea of a new hack, is actually making the winter commute a little more palatable.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I know I'm a bit of a Ribble fanboy, but I do love the look of the Ribble CGR (Cross, Gravel Road, see what they did there) and is definitely on my list should I ever feel the need to take up cyclocross or need a new winter bike. I just think the lumo yellow paint job and compact geometry make it look the mutts nuts.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Have you tried this one at Wiggle. Its about £250 off and has Shimano 105 groupset.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-al-...e#product-list
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I bought a Genesis Croix de Fer 10 back in January, it's made a great commuting bike, the only thing I didn't like about it was the saddle which I swopped, the disc brakes (Spyre) are cable operated but pressure is applied to the pads from both sides, the braking is excellent! pad replacement and adjustments are pretty much fuss free.
    I've ridden this bike nearly everyday for the past 8 months, can't fault it, here's a pic .... https://flic.kr/p/SVyGzQ
    Last edited by Kahuczek; 9th September 2017 at 3:40 PM.

Have been considering the Ribble and that Croix de Fer actually. Still think the Specialized has the edge on the looks.

Sorry, Vlad, that chainstay is fugly but thanks for the heads up.

So sounds like cable pull disc brakes have come on a bit.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Surely even the cable disc brakes of old are better than road rims any day??

Nah, ardently disagree with that statement. Early cable pull discs on entry level bikes were shocking.

My bike fitter from a high end bike shop in London has moved to my LBS. I dropped him a line about the Diverge, he said his new place could do me this bike for 1100 if I was interested. A little more than I wanted to spend, but clearly a better bike and with hydraulic stoppers...

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-alr/domane-alr-4-disc/p/1405000-2018/?colorCode=grey

Our very own RCUK like it too.

I bought me a Giant Revolt for the winter commute. Big tyres, hydraulic brakes, excellent for towpaths and pretty quick on the roads.

One nasty accident left it with only scratches.

Heavy, but indestructable.

Thal

That is pretty funky to be fair, cheers for the heads up!

A mate also just chucked this in there: https://www.evanscycles.com/cannonda...CABEgITAvD_BwE