Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Velo Birmingham

Velo Birmingham

Anyone else riding the Velo Birmingham on the 24th?

I'm signed up and it will be my first century ride. The training has not been going to plan and I've only done a couple of rides over 70 mile this year, I'm not looking forward to it if I'm honest, although the closed road element should be fun.

I'm starting from pen B1 at 8am and will be decked out in Phoenix Velo kit.

I had a place but due to work had to give to a friend.I'm now available to do it which is annoying

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I had a place but due to work had to give to a friend.I'm now available to do it which is annoying
    I have a place and can't do it! I note there is no facility to transfer a place any more, but I wonder if there is a workaround...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

It is a shame that the Birmingham Velo ride is going ahead
    i am one of the people that are being made a prisoner for the day
    my work situation means I get 1 day a week off and now I can not come and go from my own property.
    if this cycle ride is called the Birmingham Velo then surely it should be kept in the Birmingham postcode after all it does give you Tamworth,Redditch,Coleshill.
    so the question is why should other district councils and residents have to have this inconvenience and the cost of repairing roads prior to the event.
    i will not be celebrating this event and I hope it never happens again,
    15000 cyclists effecting millions of people
    if you want to ride your cycle do so as part of the road network with other traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Goaway View Post
    my work situation means I get 1 day a week off and now I can not come and go from my own property.
    if this cycle ride is called the Birmingham Velo then surely it should be kept in the Birmingham postcode after all it does give you Tamworth,Redditch,Coleshill.
    so the question is why should other district councils and residents have to have this inconvenience and the cost of repairing roads prior to the event.
    if you want to ride your cycle do so as part of the road network with other traffic
    Presumably you have never taken part in any event that has inconvenienced anyone else like a mass participation run for example or enjoyed watching any sport that involved closing roads temporally like the London marathon or Great North Run or the Olympic Games or The Tour de France or a football match when the streets around the stadium are effectively closed every other week not just once a year. Perhaps you've never got off your backside to do any exercise at all. But then you are being a NIMBY - its OK for the folk of Birmingham to be affected but not where you live.

Its only one day and thousands are enjoying a day out, quite where you plucked the figure of millions of people being affected from is unbelievable, it will still only be measured in tens of thousands at most. You can still use your legs or heaven forbid get out on a bike and if you really need to go out in a car is it really that difficult to park it round the corner? - you're hardly trapped behind a wall of steel. You could even go out and cheer on those partaking in the challenge (and in the process are raising money for charity), like thousands of others who are similarly affected rather than whining about it, or maybe you don't think that's a worthwhile cause either.

Plus the roads probably needed repairing anyway if anyone really has done that which I doubt very much.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 19th September 2017 at 3:19 PM. Reason: additional text
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yeah we do that, we're really popular with the 'other traffic'.

I think his/her user name gives a clue to agenda!
    All the gear and no idea.

I was looking forward to this event, cycling on roads free of angry people in cars for a change who I've dared inconvenience for 3 seconds, in an area in which I grew up.

It was self-centred attitudes like yours that I read on the web which swung it for me, as it would have involved some considerable effort and expense (hotels, restaurants locally for a start) for me to attend. One local councillor was actually predicting/promoting violence, sabotage and vigilante action. I have withdrawn, so that's only 14,999 others you have to worry about.

Contrast this with the welcome received at Velothon Wales, where the roadsides were lined with folk enjoying the spectacle, and benefitting from increased trade. Some even set up roadside pop-up cafes. Such is its success a pro race now follows

The Prudential RideLondon goes from strength to strength.

Presumably you will also be writing to complain to the Met Office when you next get snowed in.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 19th September 2017 at 4:40 PM.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    In the words of Churchill - Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

See you owe us cyclists such a lot - you now get to stay at home all day with your dear family and play with the kids on the back lawn that you have just cut and placed the new winter bulbs in which the wife brought on Saturday.

Have a nice evening BBQ with the neighbours and ........

FOOK OFF AND GET A LIFE.

"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    It was self-centred attitudes like yours that I read on the web which swung it for me,
    It should have swung it the other way. You've just fed the Troll.

don__t_feed_the_troll___by_blag001-d5r7e47.jpg
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.