Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Velo Birmingham

So, anyone do it?

My brother tried to, but wasn't able to get to his booked car park in time due to the road closures so missed his pen time.

Reports online of tacks, oil on the road, locals moving road closure cones and verbally abusing riders.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    So, anyone do it?

My brother tried to, but wasn't able to get to his booked car park in time due to the road closures so missed his pen time.

Reports online of tacks, oil on the road, locals moving road closure cones and verbally abusing riders.
    Just chatted with my mate who did it.
    Start was delayed due to tacks/pins on road.There was Oil across the road near a Winery that brought down two Motorcycle riders and he(and a few others) all got punctures on a Hairpin bend about halfway around due to pins being thrown across the road.
    He didn't witness any abuse but spoke to others who did and there were "No Velo" posters strewn about.
    There seemed to be the usual Sportive issue of feedstations not being adequately stocked too.
    On the whole though he said it was a pretty good event.

So, anyone do it?

There's a certain degree of irony in that, especially considering below!

Reports online of tacks, oil on the road, locals moving road closure cones and verbally abusing riders.[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I have to say that I was working last night and we had chaos in Brum. People were parked in cars at junctions for hours waiting to move and the roads should have opened at 1800 but were still closed at 1900. No one on the road closures had communication with anyone else to say when they could lift it.

We had to try to work around it and even had to travel on blues through cordons to get to jobs past cyclists.

Did see people on the side of the road at 1830 still cheering people on - so that was nice.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Bet it was goaway above that placed the tacks etc in the road.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

I've pre-registered for 2018s event....if it gets off the ground.There's been a fair bit of opposition to this years and the route had to be changed so there were rumours around yesterday that it was to be the first and last.
    I can't understand all the opposition for one day a year?

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    You should get his IP details and send someone round!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    You should get his IP details and send someone round!
    I've only just read goaways post.Did he/she actually join a cycling forum just to post his/her one sad little rant?
    There's some strange folk about
    The thing that annoys me is the idiots who spread pins and oil etc don't realise the consequences....or do they

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I've only just read goaways post.Did he/she actually join a cycling forum just to post his/her one sad little rant?
    There's some strange folk about
    The thing that annoys me is the idiots who spread pins and oil etc don't realise the consequences....or do they
    Looks like it. I guess he/she needed to vent somewhere!

I can't imagine anyone would spread tacks or oil on a road without imagining that injury might occur.

They don't care though - its their road after all as they live there. Selfish barstewards the lot of them. They should have just had a BBQ and had some fun for the afternoon.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss