Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Velo Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    It should have swung it the other way. You've just fed the Troll.

Attachment 2025
    That looks like a hedgehog ?
    "I am not Colin"

Did it with the missus. Quite good. Hilly route and they advertised food but there was none left at the "pit stops". So there were quite a lot of knackered riders late on. I don't mind taking or buying food but you need to be told. Delayed start due to oil and tacks on the route which then delayed the reopening of the roads - nice bit of irony. Lots of support from locals, but lots of nimbyism from people claiming to be trapped in their homes. If I knew local roads would be closed for a day I'd plan accordingly but apparently some find that outrageous or impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Great story... so £ spent in the area as a direct result, and a happy tourist. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Goaway and your ilk.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    That is a good story
    Surely when paying the fee he would have noticed it was GB£ and not US$ though?

Yes, I did it. My first 100 miler and first closed roads sportive, here's a bit of a review...

Registration was straightforward, I live 20 miles down the road in Cov so drove in to the NIA, no problem parking and no big queues to sign in. There were a few stalls, these were a bit limited but I guess most retailers were up the road at the NEC cycle show. Some suggestion that they should combine the two but I wouldn't be keen on that. Hung around and had a coffee and listened to the rider briefing, they had a few celebs doing interviews and stuff too. Goodie bag was a bit disppointing, box of gels, a water bottle, top tube sticker, some free train tickets. A t-shirt would have been nice.

Didn't sleep a wink the night before, strangely apprehensive, still it meant I was wide awake when the alarm went off at 5:30! Parked at Edgbaston cricket ground, the loos were open which was ideal, met my mate and rode the three miles to the start, roads were nice and quiet.

Start was delayed by about 30 mins due to the issues described above, not much comms from organisers but difficult for them to relay messages down the road to the later starters, no PA system but I guess that's due to noise issues at that time of the morning.

Rolled out through the city centre, great feeling on the closed roads and through the underpasses. First 20 miles was through some of the 'rougher' areas of Brum, Dudley, etc, yet the crowds were out in force, in their pyjamas and having liquid breakfasts! Already getting lots of support. Great fun whizzing through junctions and round the roundabouts with no traffic worries. Stopped at first pit stop at 20 miles, busy but lots of food, had a banana and took a few gels for later.

Then out into the countryside heading towards Kidderminster and Worcester. Water stop at 30 ish miles was busy and badly signposted. Nasty drag at about 50 miles where I started to feel it in the legs a bit. Food stop at 55 miles was chaos, very busy and out of food and water, it was situated at a hotel who helped out with water. Glad I'd taken some emergency gels, sweets and flapjacks.

Lovely stretch of riding along the Severn at 70 miles, great support from the locals, crossing the bridge into Bewdley with the big crowds was a real highlight. Into the final stretch, another stop at 70 odd miles which still had plenty of water, bananas and cakes and then onto the hilly section from 80 odd miles.

Had a stretch before the St Kenelms climb at 83 miles as was starting to cramp, more great support from the locals handing out water food and encouragement! Rode up Kenelms and the 4 nasty little ramps that followed, proud to have ridden them all, plenty were walking! The last 10 miles were gloriously down hill and I crossed the line with my mate Martin and got a shout out on the PA.

Only saw a few negative posters around the route, saw plenty of punctures but we didn't have any. On the whole the positive support far outweighed the negatives.

Into the NIA for the post race festivities. Very busy but reasonably well organised with plenty of bike storage. I always feel rough after a long ride and sadly couldn't face any food or free beer. We didn't fancy riding back to the car park as it was getting dark and the roads were busy so we ended up walking which took about 30 minutes but was probably a good recovery for the legs. Saw plenty riding back though, often without lights which wasn't too clever.

Signed up for free photos which came through later on, pleased with these and I'll post a few later on this evening.

In summary a great experience. I found the 100 miles tough but very pleased I did it. 7 hrs 15mins for 103 miles, 14.5 mph average but with plenty of stops which was always the plan, just a day out on the bike, total time about 8hrs 30 mins. Undecided on doing another, I really didn't enjoy the 70-90 mile stretch! I hope it's back next year though, on the whole it seems to have been well received.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Nice story Gray. Glad you enjoyed it less for the 70-90 bit.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Crossing the Severn into Bewdley!

VeloBirmingham-SSP-415699-BLu-ARS-5983.jpg

You should be able to see all my lovely photos using the link below!

https://velobirmingham.photoshelter....rch&F_REFINE=t
    Last edited by graywoodhouse; 29th September 2017 at 5:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post

Well done Mr Hoose, great review!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post

Thanks for the review, any idea how many calories you burnt?