FTP, VO2max and heart rate

New to the wonderful (and complex) world of road cycling, wondering if some of you gurus out there could clarify some issues for me:

1) I did a 20-minute test for my FTP. With that info (power x .95) can I get a good sense for what my VO2max power number is?

2)I read some suggestions to do some intervals at, say, 90% of VO2max. Is that the same as 90% of my FTP?

3) My trainer is an indoor cycling one with no power meter, so I go by heart rate when I work out on it ( hope to buy a turbo soon). Can I make a good determination as to what my VO2max heart rate is from my average heart rate from a 20-minute full-on test?

Thanks

If you log your rides via strava app...I'm sure that gives a watts reading....I think
    my wahoo kickr and zwift...gives me them readings....but I ain't got no clue what they mean...lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of training science!

I wonder if you are a bit confused... have a read of this https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/p...aining-levels/

Basically, your power zones are worked out from your max sustainable 20 minute power. This is reduced by 5% to get an estimate of your max 1 hr power, or FTP. From this number, your zones are calculated, inc your V02max. V02 max is essentially the power you can produce for 3-8 mins (duration depending on how well trained you are).

You can estimate your V02max HR from a test, but in my view the better guide to that sort of effort for training is how it feels (i.e perceived exertion)... your HR will likely take 1 minute at least to catch up with the effort, meaning you are likely to under/overshoot if you go by HR for shorter efforts.

Bear in mind also that you will get better at pacing the effort in the 20 minute tests... so repeat them to get more reliable results. Also bear in mind that if you are doing it outdoors, you need to find a stretch of road where you can put out a constant effort with no interruptions. Better to do it indoors with a decent fluid turbo.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

The way I approach these tests is to start the test at around 15 watts higher than your ftp and then after 12 minutes access how you feel. Then adjust accordingly
    Last edited by Spokesman; 6th December 2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    3) My trainer is an indoor cycling one with no power meter, so I go by heart rate when I work out on it ( hope to buy a turbo soon). Can I make a good determination as to what my VO2max heart rate is from my average heart rate from a 20-minute full-on test?

Thanks
    When I was training for racing, power meters were not available. I would work out my max HR with a 20 minute ramp test so by the end of the test I was unable to pedal any faster or harder. The HR at that point was what we called HR deflection rate which is probably equivalent to FTP. I would then try to maintain this effort for another minute and the HR would go up by another 5 bpm or so, this effort was not sustainable for longer and the HR would not go any higher so this was max HR and then I could work out my training zones from that. In those days we only had 4 zones. As PRS says that with experience you can pretty well estimate your HR and power output from feel.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.