Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Energy Bars Advice

I have been using Torq energy gels for the last year or so, and don't think they are right for the type of riding I do. They are also messy and squirt all over me and the bike.

Please can people recommend energy bars that they use.

Hopefully I can buy a box in bulk off eBay.

Before the flapjack brigade start on about blending your own, I do not have the time or energy to do so.

Many thanks for any replies.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

I like the Nakd bars, not cheap but tasty and 100% natural ingredients(according to blurb).
    All the gear and no idea.

So you specifically want a bar? If you are struggling with Torq gels, then all gels will pose similar sticky issues.

Torq bars are good, if you like the gels.

You can of course use your primus stove at the roadside, and forage your own ingredients from bees nests etc. Boil for 2 hrs et voila.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Been using Power Bars for years but my taste has obviously changed and I just find them too sweet now. So I switched to Meridian peanut & chocolate bars based on good review on Wiggle. When they arrived I realised they are actually just vegan sweets and don't pack much of an energy punch plus they taste pretty bland. As it happened a couple of weeks ago on my regular trip to Costco for stuff for the practice and cheap beer I came a cross some Cliff Bars amongst the dross of Lucozade Sport and such crap. So I bought a box and have to say I like them, they tick all the correct boxes for energy/nutrition etc as well so they are now my go-to bar.

NB to Laxative: Gasper asked a specific question, he doesn't want a lecture on being fodder for the manufacturers and falling for the advertising spiel, nor does he want Mrs Laxative's recipes for flapjacks etc etc!!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I have stared taking these out with me , and quite like them , I see they are still on offer, all the nutritional info is on the bottom of the page
    http://www.scienceinsport.com/uk/sho...xed-bar-bundle

Thanks Muffin, CD, PRs and Dave, I will look out for the products mentioned. It is nice to have some recommendations to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    So you specifically want a bar? If you are struggling with Torq gels, then all gels will pose similar sticky issues.

Torq bars are good, if you like the gels.

You can of course use your primus stove at the roadside, and forage your own ingredients from bees nests etc. Boil for 2 hrs et voila.
    I use Torq energy gels and drink. The drink is excellent and packs a real punch, the gels I find insipid and too sweet, and don't do a lot. The Torq energy bar sounds a good idea, I will order some.

One day when I am retired maybe I will have the time to faff around making stuff, but until I have found something that works for me, I don't know what I am aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I like the Nakd bars, not cheap but tasty and 100% natural ingredients(according to blurb).
    Also a fan of Nakd bars - and now Aldi do some similar but cheaper ones - cashew crush and pecan pie are pure nuts/dates on the same lines as the Nakd bars (I think they're a little bigger than the Nakd bars as well).

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Been using Power Bars for years but my taste has obviously changed and I just find them too sweet now. So I switched to Meridian peanut & chocolate bars based on good review on Wiggle. When they arrived I realised they are actually just vegan sweets and don't pack much of an energy punch plus they taste pretty bland. As it happened a couple of weeks ago on my regular trip to Costco for stuff for the practice and cheap beer I came a cross some Cliff Bars amongst the dross of Lucozade Sport and such crap. So I bought a box and have to say I like them, they tick all the correct boxes for energy/nutrition etc as well so they are now my go-to bar.

NB to Laxative: Gasper asked a specific question, he doesn't want a lecture on being fodder for the manufacturers and falling for the advertising spiel, nor does he want Mrs Laxative's recipes for flapjacks etc etc!!
    I like the taste of the Clif bars but find them a bit dry, they're also quite pricey (I bought a job lot from merlin for about 1.20 / bar), how much are they from Costco?

I'm actually considering just going with the Tesco value flapjacks, surely can't be beaten on / calorie and have a nice gooey consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

Thanks CB, just a "normal" non-cycling specific bar is probably fine too, I just need to experiment.

Your comment made me laugh, there are a number of flapjack aficionados on here, and while I uphold their right to bang on about them, they give me the sh*ts, and I can't help that.