Thread: Lanzarote

Lanzarote

Right, Mrs Muffin keen on a winter holiday and has suggested Club La Santa Lanzarote, she can do aerobics, badminton etc etc and I can surf and ride. Now, I've been to Lanzarote about 6 times but always surfing, never cycling(was never into it then).
    So, anyone been and if so what's the score. I know lots of cyclists go there for winter training etc and I've seen them all over the island and there's some killer climbs as well but anyone been?

I get free use of an aluminium bike in with deal but can pay extra for an upgrade to carbon so bike wise should be sorted, I'll just take pedals and helmet(it's compulsory there).

One point that occurs is do bike hire places etc usually provide spare inner tubes/pumps etc or is it up to individual to take this sort of thing? As I carry my spares etc in wedge saddle bag I'd take this also, don't like anything other than the odd cereal bar in jersey pocket. This will be in Feb so plenty time to plan but thought I'd ask ahead of time.
    All the gear and no idea.

I've been to La Santa in the past. You'll love it. Cycling is great over there but it can be windy. There are usually organised rides out of La Santa so you can go out in a group if that's your thing. The Tabayesca climb is the best on the island. You need to get over there at least once. Last time I went there, January this year, I went up that climb almost every day.

OK cheers Q. How was the wind as doing a quick search on other sites lots of reports of wind being a nightmare there for cycling. I know it gets really windy from surfing there but as long as it was offshore I didn't mind but cycling be a different story.
    All the gear and no idea.

The wind was fine in January. I wouldn't opt for deep section wheels out there. Just go out in a group if it's windy or pick your route according to the wind direction. I always like a tailwind home. It's not a big issue just a factor to be aware of.

Worth seeing if the bike shops offer accompanied tours- if you don't know a place its fun to have someone show you good routes, off the beaten track.

Re equipment, it depends on the bike shop- some provide everything, some dont, so ask beforehand. Take emergency gels etc, but one of the pleasures for me of cycling overseas is the cafe/sandwich stops.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un