Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Noise in a new, deep section wheel

Hi,

Before I send it back to Ribble, I thought I'd pick your brain. It's a new bike. I've ridden it probably less than 100 miles in just over a week. After my last ride, I discovered that something might be loose in the front wheel. I can't figure out what it could be. Please see the video. Apologies, but for the first several seconds it's blurry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwiIrIF__BA

Is it possible to remove the deep section extension to check it or do you advise to send it back to Ribble straight away?

Thanks

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    Loose valve?

Have you checked all the spokes to see if any are loose?

It could also be internal cable rattle, but from your video is does seem to be coming from the wheel so spokes may be your best bet.

Also, may sound daft but make sure the valve cap is on properly or remove it to see if it still makes that noise.

Right. Please bear with me as I have not dealt with these kinds of wheels before. The bit of valve that is sticking out of the deep section extension seems solid but I don't have access to the screw that is usually at the base of a valve. Is the deep section extension removable? I don't want to break anything.

I've checked all the spokes and they also seem ok.

it's more than likely a loose spoke or the valve knocking against the rim.

Some pros tape their valves to the rim to stop rattling.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    I can't see the vid but a loose valve is an easy fix just put a 2" piece of tape over the valve.

If its not that drop the wheel out of the bike and see if the noise is still there. That will rule out the noise coming from the bike and not the wheel.

My Mavic cosmic carbone rims do this...which was good for me as it's the reason why I got them cheap on eBay ..lol
    for me the fix was easy...use threaded valves and use the lock ring..
    simple....for the deeper rims use tape as mentioned above.
    or are you talking about the hum bladed spokes make??.....I love that noise

Maybe when the wheel was built up, a spoke nipple has been dropped in side of the rim, as suggested take the wheel out to see if it rattles.

I got muck in my fulcrums due to too many roadside tyre changes. They always rattled a bit after that.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

I have got in touch with Ribble and was advised to take it to a local bike shop to get a second opinion but probably it is a foreign object. The solution would be to take off the tyre, rim tape and shake the wheel to see if anything falls out. They are going to reimburse me for the local bike shop bill. Great customer service, Ribble.