Thoughts on going 105 groupset or going for disc brakes?

Hi there,

Currently buying new commuter bike and after a few close calls I am quite keen on getting disc brakes. I owned (pre-theft) this B'TWIN TRIBAN 540 ROAD BIKE, GREY/BLACK - 105 that I loved. My new option is Verenti Technique Tiagra Disc (2017) Road Bike Blue/Black. Has TRP Spyre Mechanical, a touch heavier too. Anyone got any thoughts they'd like to share. FYI my budget is up to 700 (+-50).
    Many thanks in advance

Mechanical Disc brakes aren't an improvement on Rim brakes.
    If you can't up the budget and go Hydraulic I'd stick to Rim brakes.

At the end of the day, once the wheels are at lock-up the bike will stop no quicker, discs or not.

Bigger tyres will give a larger contact area and will stop quicker, also invest in some top quality pads.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Great points all well made, I can't find a hydraulic option for less than 1,000 which is out of my budget...

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I just got my first road bike with SHIMono on ever! It is Tiagra, must say although the shifters feel a bit cheesy, the shifting is punchy and precise. As for the Tiagra hydraulic discs, they are actually really good but yet to use in the wet. Tonight might be the first time. Sure 105 will be lighter but really can't knock the Tiagra, but then this is on my daily hack, a bike I'm not too fussed about.

Come on PRS, a man of your knowledge knows there's a bit more to it than that, optimum breaking is achieved when there is 5% - 15% slip at the tyre is it not?! So therefore modulation is key, getting right to the limits of retardation at the disc and the limit of traction between the ground and your tyre is surely easier with disc brakes?

Then factor in variety of conditions, where wet/dirtier braking surfaces come into play, discs must be the winner overall?
    "I love this cooking revolution"

p.s. In the process of buying this bike I pretty much saw disc brakes as the defining factor, the thing I was most excited about. I knew the only way to fly was hydraulics though, having used cable pull discs in the past and them being shockingly cr4p.

I have mechanical discs on the CX and they’re poor.Very wooden on/off feel.No real modulation.
    Having said that 15+ years of good Hydraulic brakes on MTBs has probably spoilt me!

I would say there is very little difference between tiagra and 105, a few grams weight perhaps and a few s cost. 105 is available in 11 speed, if you must have another gear, whereas I think Tiagra is still only available in 10 speed. We own bikes with both. The real step change comes with ultegra 11 speed, it feels very nice to use in comparison.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

The two bikes I whittled it down to, the Trek Domane and a CAAD 10 or something, one had Tiagra hydraulic discs, the other had 105 cable pull rim brakes. I am glad I went with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    The two bikes I whittled it down to, the Trek Domane and a CAAD 10 or something, one had Tiagra hydraulic discs, the other had 105 cable pull rim brakes. I am glad I went with the former.
    Not sure why Shim don't simplify their range, too many levels IMHO. Must be a marketing thang. Do we really need Claris, Sora, tiagra, 105 plus others, when there is really very little difference between them.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.