Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Me and Muffin had a nice long chat about the virtues of weight in cycling, was good.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Yes, noise from Mavic wheel, not the Ribble bike it was attached to. Oh and the thread was around 3 pages actually related to the OP's problem, followed by 6 of random stuff, as is oft the way on RCUK!
    It’s still going PRS

Quote Originally Posted by bluephenex View Post
    Thanks PRSboy. Will have a look at the aero. Bit still have concerns with ribble bikes about quality. Cheers Andy
    I've had the 883 for over 6 months now. It's a very good bike. The frame is excellent. The only 'complaints' I have with the frame is the angled cut outs on the downtube. When the bike is in the stand, the steerer has a tendency to turn through 90į and the forks have got scratched. I now use frame protectors and make sure the steerer is unable to turn. Also, the raw carbon finish looks a bit naff in some angles and light, but you generally have to get up close to it in order to notice.

I had some issues with the initial setup of the Di2. There was a bit of noise on some gears but after connecting it up to the computer, I managed to fine tune the indexing and problem solved. Also had problems with the rear direct mount brake spring sticking. Tried replacing the cable, outer cable, spraying with lube but the only way I could get the spring working properly was to loosen the fixing bolts. However, this resulted in a little movement in the caliper so I decided to replace it. The replacement caliper is working perfectly. Rim tape failed where a spoke meets the rim which caused a couple of punctures but easy enough to fix.

As PRSboy said, these issues were down to non-Ribble parts. I honestly can't fault the frame. The bike is very fast and really good to ride.

Thanks to everyone for the replys and advice. I have a lot to think about. Cheers again Andy ��

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    As PRSboy said, these issues were down to non-Ribble parts. I honestly can't fault the frame. The bike is very fast and really good to ride.
    Not much to add to this discussion, however I was tempted by a Ribble Gran Fondo but couldn't get the thought out of my head that it is in the end a budget mass produced frame and quite heavy.

I also wonder given that the few problems we get with ostensibly the same components on other better quality new bikes (i.e. virtually none) whether Ribble and other big on-line shops are sourcing seconds from the manufacturers in order to keep the costs down. I had Di2 issues with a bike I bought from Wiggle and couldn't resolve them which is one reason I sent it back.

In the end I got a Cannondale Supersix from the LBS at a great price and it has been faultless in every respect. I would suggest therefore that you do a trawl of bike shops (not Halfrauds and possibly not Evans either mind you) you can see the goods and even test ride them and you will probably get an excellent deal as they are wanting get rid of 2017 stock now. Plus if something goes wrong they're on hand to fix it easily.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I'm very happy with my budget, heavy, mass produced Gran Fondo It's lighter than an equivalent Trek Domane.

It's largely luck of the draw but mine hasn't missed a beat, all the components were setup beautifully. However I bought it in the knowledge that I was capable of doing any tweaking myself. If you're not comfortable tweaking then Ribble might not be for you.

The GF is a very relaxed geomtery. The other frames might be a better compromise between comfort and speed. The Sportive Racing maybe?

Just a wee update guys. Bit the bullet and got the MERIDA Reacto 7000-E 2017. Been out once on it. Wow what a dream. Glad I went for it. Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers Andy

Wow nice bike. Reading the thread I didn't expect you to go for an aero speed machine. Keep it away from the salt grit on the roads.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Nice bike, let's see some pics then!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

So I assume the salt wont rot my carbon frame or wheels, the chain is covered with grease, and I clean the bike after a mucky ride. What exactly is the issue with salt/grit ? Just curious.