Thread: Somerset

Somerset

I'm off with family next week to Somerset, staying near Woolston, will be taking bike so anyone been cycling in the area? The Cheddar Gorge is around an hour away so may do that climb, supposed to be good but any other suggestions welcome.
    All the gear and no idea.

Is that near Watchet? Cheddar is worth a go, most of the non-main roads are nice really. Go via any of the rds to the east of the M5 (Mark, Wedmore area) Let me know where you're going and I'll recommend some cafes

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    Is that near Watchet? Cheddar is worth a go, most of the non-main roads are nice really. Go via any of the rds to the east of the M5 (Mark, Wedmore area) Let me know where you're going and I'll recommend some cafes
    Cheers, will be there Mon-Fri next week. We're staying near Bicknoller apparently, so that's a few miles south of Watchet looking at map.
    Last edited by Muffin; 25th October 2017 at 4:17 PM.

You've got the whole of Exmoor on your doorstep, why would you head to Cheddar?? Some climbs to include: Porlock Toll Road (an absolute must!), Countisbury Hill, Dunkery Beacon and many other beautiful quiet roads. Depending on how much time you've got, you can head across towards Lynmouth, before heading south to either Simonsbath, Exford or Wheddon Cross. For shorter rides, you could just head towards Ralegh's Cross or go over the Quantocks, including the infamous Crowcombe! Just bring your climbing legs, Exmoor doesn't do flat!

The Mrs wants to do Cheddar Gorge tourist bit so was thinking of incorporating a ride there. Anyway, cheers for recommendations.

You could stop at Cheddar on the way down - it's not far off the M5 - you practically go past it! Lots of beautiful places to do the touristy things on Exmoor without all the tourists! Enjoy.

Lovely though Exmoor is, Cheddar is worth doing if you can. It's long, not too steep (except the short bit near the bottom!) and is, well, a gorge! so is visually impressive too. Be relatively quiet this time of the year as well.

Right, back after 4 days in Somerset. As it was a family holiday I just went out twice on the bike and my impression is it's a fantastic place for cycling especially if you like hills! I was really lucky with weather as dry, bright and no wind so ideal conditions. Didn't get to do any of the named routes d/t logistics but I did drive up and down the main road to Porlock and I have to say I wouldn't fancy riding it, it looks murderous. Another similar one is the road into and out of Lynmouth, that looked a killer as well.
    We visited Cheddar Gorge on way home yesterday and just did the tourist bit and walked around gorge then back along road. Couple guys riding up it and it looked a really fun ride. Some other time maybe. I did cycle around Watchet though and lots of tiny back roads in the area.

Anyway, thoroughly recommend the area, must be 1000s of routes to do.
    Last edited by Muffin; 4th November 2017 at 1:38 PM.