Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

European events in 2018 Marmotte/L'Etape etc

Just entered the Marmotte on July 8th 2018. Anyone else heading to an Alpine or Pyrenees event next summer?

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Ummmm and arhhhhhing it, after my unsuccessful and expensive Letape experience this year. A mate is torn between Marmotte, Letape and Silverstone GP.

They're all on the same day are they not?!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

A mate did Marmotte this year, absolutely loved it.

I've done some good spells in the Alps and Dolomites. I enjoyed the second trip a good deal less than the first, largely because of persistent rain and cold (and snow in places!) so am sort of reluctant to risk it again on the basis of diminishing marginal returns.

I fancy doing Ventoux (maybe joining the club Cingles!), and am lobbying Mrs B on the basis that its in Provence and she might like to come too and lounge by a pool.

On a more local note, I've wondered about the Fred Whitton challenge, or at least just doing the route. 3800m over 112m is a proper day out, incl the 30% Hardnott Pass.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I was wondering if I might just not be out in France for a few days for the ADH stage of Le Tour, drag the missus, watch some Pro cycling and chuck in a few mountains by myself. No pressure of a big event to make my knees go pop again. Cut one's teeth that way..

Aforementioned challenge sounds grim!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Yes I think L'Etape and Marmotte Alps are on the same day. I'm hoping it's dry and sunny. Never climbed a monster before. Will be an interesting challenge.

Ive always fancied having a crack at the Fred Whitton. The organised sportive is in the spring might be cold and wet. We should do an RCUK excursion there in the summer.

Big time want to conquer Ventoux though too!

Really want to go back to Silverstone GP this year as its future isn't certain.

The one for you Marty is the Marmotte Pyrenees. First climb is the Ventoux from Luz St Saveur then later on you do it again from Ste Marie de Campan. Total ascent for the 100 mile event is 5600 metres.

That sounds horrific!!! Marmotte is usually the climbers choice, is that right?

Well the Alps one I'm doing is 5000metres of ascent the Pyrenees 5600m. So it's more like the nutters choice event ����