Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    My mate did Paris-Roubaix, Letape and Marmotte, he is a nutter. Said he prefers the more chilled out organisation that is the Marmotte send off in the morning.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Started a new job commuting 5 days a week. No way I'll be getting near enough time in the saddle to prepare for these types of events.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Marmotte - you either love it or hate it.

Hang on is that not Marmite..
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

A few questions:
    - how does one enter the Marmotte race? How popular is it? Are there still places available? I have emailed someone on this website but have had no response.
    http://bike-oisans.com/en/events-cyc...ranfondo-alpes

- Am I being too optimistic? Some of you might have noticed from my posts that I'm relatively new to cycling. I've done Prudential Ride London (100 miles) two years in a row (last time the time was 5hrs 58minutes) but obviously the elevation is nowhere near that of Marmotte.

- Alternatively, can you recommend any rides in between PrudentialRide and Marmotte?

Thank you

Marmotte is basically the daddy in elevation though, maybe a touch too much of a jump from RL. It gets bigger every year, around 7.5k last year, which pretty much makes it a closed road event despite it technically not being one.

Letape has 15k but they are anal about departure times etc, so hard to set off with ya mates.

Surely to enter, you just go onto their webby?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

There are tons in the UK that offer up a bigger challenge than RL, don't get me wrong though, I LOVE RL. There's a yearly one up Peak District way that has crazy climbing, cant remember its name now.

Also some of the ones down Dorset/Cornwall way are complete brutes. Google Dragon ride!

It's the Look Marmotte Granfondo series of events. There's 3 different Granfondos. The original one is the Alpes one over the Glandon, Galibier, Telegraph then finishing on Alpe D'Huez. Will be great to do the climbs you see the Pros doing in the Tour.

From all accounts it's a brilliant event. I'm sure you'd be fine doing it if you get the training in. I normally train for 2 hour events so this one is a bit of a step up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    There are tons in the UK that offer up a bigger challenge than RL, don't get me wrong though, I LOVE RL. There's a yearly one up Peak District way that has crazy climbing, cant remember its name now.

Also some of the ones down Dorset/Cornwall way are complete brutes. Google Dragon ride!
    Tour of the Peak?
    3316m/10,879ft/113miles

Fred Whitton(Lakes) is tougher:-3900m/12,795ft/112miles and the 30-33% climbs hit you 80miles in!

Yeah, I did Google and that one came up, don't think that was it. My old boss told me about it but he retired so I cant ask him the name of it. All I can remember is it came near by Matlock.

That Fred Whitton looks grim!

I've done some of the Fred W.
    I've done Hardknott Pass(33%) on a MTB and the descent was sketchy with Hydraulic Brakes.It's on our list but we're going to do it as a "Four Seasons" ride.You basically ride it when you want but still get an official time as you send off for a timing chip(for a small fee).So you're unsupported.I spend a fair bit of time in the Lakes and May,when the official event is held,can be grim so picking a better time appeals!