Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how much training?

Hi,
    First post so bear with me, i'm doing a charity event consisting of a 500kg total ( Squat, Benchpress and Deadlift ) followed by a 100 mile ride afterwards and was wondering on how best to train for the cycle? I can train for the lifts no problem with a 4 day split but i need to intergrate the cycling into this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you ride regularly , If yes for how far, and for how long ?

Usually just 2 - 3 times per week and 8miles each way. Total weekly mileage is 48 miles max

Get yourself on zwift...do 20miles...every other day...then keep increasing every few weeks...then start doing zwift races.....and let me win...lol

When is your 100mile ride scheduled for?

Is there any particular time goal you want to achieve or just to finish the ride?

It’s in August and I would like a average of 12.5mph minimum to finish in 8hrs. It’s not very hilly either.
    I will have a look at zwift too.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ako954 View Post
    It’s in August and I would like a average of 12.5mph minimum to finish in 8hrs. It’s not very hilly either.
    I will have a look at zwift too.
    Cheers
    Ok. Zwift is great, especially now in the winter months. Ensure however that you cycle a lot on the bike that you're going to be using for that ride. See how your body reacts riding this particular bike for longer periods - any pains/discomfort?

Do longer rides over the weekend. As Boxxy suggested, keep increasing the distance. You don't need to reach 100miles. If you can easily do 80, you'd definitely be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ako954 View Post

Cheers
    trust me...if you stick to the plan...you'll be faster than 12.5 av.....I reckon 15-16.5 av..easy...

Ok. Many thanks to all. I’ll make a start ASAP!

Plenty of time to get fit enough to ride that distance at that speed, so build up gradually and don't try to overdo it. Zwift is good for winter training, but you will also need a turbo trainer for that and a Zwift subscription as the free basic account is very restrictive. There are alternatives out there which may be cheaper, and in some cases free, such as following a training video on YouTube whilst on a turbo trainer.

Another tip, unrelated to training, is to check out some basic bike mechanical videos so you know what to do in the event of a puncture or other issues when you're out on the bike. GCN have a very good YouTube channel for repairs, plus training and technique tips.

Also, check out advice on nutrition. You will want to make sure you stay hydrated and have enough fuel inside you to complete your ride.