Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Tommy's - I'll post a link once the donation page is set up
    Cool ..do that

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    I’ve done it 3 times (although only once successfully through the ballot system) and it’s fantastic.

Didn’t get in this year and doubt I’ll be taking a charity place for reasons I won’t go into.

But I’ve always wondered- with the number of riders massing at the start and the perceived lack of any checks- could you possibly even start at the actual start line in amongst all the crowds and chaos? I don’t remember any check of numbers etc?

I’m a bit gutted as I missed out on my 5 hour target last year by 3 or 4 mins and really wanted another crack this year.
    Same here, I've done it 3 times too
    1st .....the maiden 100 ride back in 2013... via charity place...never again...because it's easy getting the money on paper, getting people to cough up after wards verged on taking mafia type tactics.
    2nd ....via ballot 2015... got my best time 5hrs 21 I think
    3rd ....last year via jumping on....naughty but nice...ha ha ha

you know I think you could just go up to the starting line...no one takes a blind bit of notice, I've still got all my numbers etc...hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Cool ..do that
    Thank you.

I've done it twice both times via a charity. 2 years ago I managed to get most of the pledged amount (£400). Last year I was lucky as my employer agreed to make a donation (the whole amount). This year the employer is unlikely to fund me again.

Boxxy, I think you're right. If one has all the numbers from previous years, I don't think it'd be a massive problem to blend in with other riders from the same wave at the starting line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    Didn’t get in this year and doubt I’ll be taking a charity place for reasons I won’t go into.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Same here, I've done it 3 times too
    1st .....the maiden 100 ride back in 2013... via charity place...never again...because it's easy getting the money on paper, getting people to cough up after wards verged on taking mafia type tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    I've done it twice both times via a charity. 2 years ago I managed to get most of the pledged amount (£400). Last year I was lucky as my employer agreed to make a donation (the whole amount). This year the employer is unlikely to fund me again.
    In the past I have done several charity rides, run marathons and more adventurous exploits to raise money for charity (climbed Kilimanjaro, Tough Mudder) and raised thousands of pounds in the process and must say I've never had an issue getting the donors to cough up. However, I have now realised, not least after requests from others for sponsoring them for silly little things like dog walks, that its basically chugging and getting people to sponsor me to do something I want to to do and enjoy. The Kilimanjaro trip was basically sponsoring me to go on holiday in Africa, albeit I paid all my own expenses and we actually had the opportunity to visit and help on the projects with the Masai we were raising money for which was a fantastic opportunity you never normally get.

So the bottom line is I won't do ride London (or any other charity/mass participation ride) because I hate riding in large groups of inexperienced cyclists, I object to to paying someone to ride on roads I can ride on for free anytime, if I want a challenge I will enter a proper race, I wouldn't ask anyone for money to pay me to do something that is not a challenge and I will enjoy and likewise I refuse to sponsor anyone else unless its a child doing something out of his/her comfort zone.

Bah humbug. That said however I do make regular contributions to charities of my choice, mostly animal related because they are helpless, and in my time in the Rotary Club raised money for worthwhile local causes.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 22nd February 2018 at 10:08 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

[QUOTE=coolboarder;433340]In the past I have done several charity rides, run marathons and more adventurous exploits to raise money for charity (climbed Kilimanjaro, Tough Mudder) and raised thousands of pounds in the process and must say I've never had an issue getting the donors to cough up. However, I have now realised, not least after requests from others for sponsoring them for silly little things like dog walks, that its basically chugging and getting people to sponsor me to do something I want to to do and enjoy. The Kilimanjaro trip was basically sponsoring me to go on holiday in Africa, albeit I paid all my own expenses and we actually had the opportunity to visit and help on the projects with the Masai we were raising money for which was a fantastic opportunity you never normally get.

So the bottom line is I won't do ride London (or any other charity/mass participation ride) because I hate riding in large groups of inexperienced cyclists, I object to to paying someone to ride on roads I can ride on for free anytime, if I want a challenge I will enter a proper race, I wouldn't ask anyone for money to pay me to do something that is not a challenge and I will enjoy and likewise I refuse to sponsor anyone else unless its a child doing something out of his/her comfort zone.

Bah humbug. That said however I do make regular contributions to charities of my choice, mostly animal related because they are helpless, and in my time in the Rotary Club raised money for worthwhile local causes.

Couldn't agree more with you CB.

I had a request last year from a friend raising money with a ride, for the local hospital charity. As I'd had a number of charity requests around the same time I did not donate.

Fast forward a few weeks and unexpectedly in hospital with a poorly daughter, taking advantage of the free wi-fi provided by the same charity! Found the email, and made a donation...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    In the past I have done several charity rides, run marathons and more adventurous exploits to raise money for charity (climbed Kilimanjaro, Tough Mudder) and raised thousands of pounds in the process and must say I've never had an issue getting the donors to cough up. However, I have now realised, not least after requests from others for sponsoring them for silly little things like dog walks, that its basically chugging and getting people to sponsor me to do something I want to to do and enjoy. The Kilimanjaro trip was basically sponsoring me to go on holiday in Africa, albeit I paid all my own expenses and we actually had the opportunity to visit and help on the projects with the Masai we were raising money for which was a fantastic opportunity you never normally get.

The 'reasons I won't go into' are exactly those you have outlined above. I give to charities and I sponsor most requests where I can and want but I'm of the seemingly outdated line of thinking that you ask for donations for something that you are really stretching yourself for. The time I did RL for charity was less than a year after I was struggling to walk so 100miles was a real achievement . Nowadays - its a ride I'd do with relative ease and enjoy so I don't se why others should pay for my privilege.

That said I am tentatively planning to run the London Marathon next year which would be a stretch and something I would like to think is worthy of a few £££ donation money - I feel I would have earned those donations.

Everyone has different opinions - I appreciate that - these are mine.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I have now realised, not least after requests from others for sponsoring them for silly little things like dog walks, that its basically chugging and getting people to sponsor me to do something I want to to do and enjoy. The Kilimanjaro trip was basically sponsoring me to go on holiday in Africa, albeit I paid all my own expenses and we actually had the opportunity to visit and help on the projects with the Masai we were raising money for which was a fantastic opportunity you never normally get.
    Not like bob-a-job then. I was asked to clean a blokes car for a shilling (5p as it was then) and I remember my dad saying he's basically a tight git who can't be bothered to do it himself.

Reminds me of the old joke about a lad asking a bloke for a bob-a-job. "Go on then" said the man, "sand the old paint off the porch at the front".

An hour or two later the lad reappeared and said, "finished mister. By the way its a Merc not a porsche."

Boo-dum tish!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Like it!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."