Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

The Great Tacx ST Conspiracy...

One thing that came to light over the New Year shutdown is that I don't trust Tacx Smart Turbos...

One of the bosses at my work is putting out 320ftp, racing up in A and B category races, fair enough I hear you say. Only thing is, when it comes to outside events and segments, I hand him his arse. My FTP is 223w on Zwift using my Kickr Snap.

So I have always had my doubts as to the point in racing on Zwift and eagerly await the Spring to see him out on our segments again. He did however come out with some interesting news that had come to light amongst his cycling cronies. He is best part of 60 as is said group, they're all kicking out 300+ on their Tacx STs.

Then the bombshell landed, one of the group got a powermeter and when the two were compared, he was reading over 20% higher on the Tacx. This made another in their group admit he had tried a Snap and he lost 20% as well, so he sent it back and stuck with his Tacx!

Anyone on Tacx compared it to a PM, I know that I got my Snap reading to within a few watts the same as a mate's P1s when I borrowed them.

So in short, Tacx is the online equivalent of EPO!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    This is why I went for an Elite Drivo. 100% accurate to +/-1%.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Fook me Marty your FTP is 223...... mine is only 203....looks like we need to race

"100% accurate to +/-1%" hahahahaha, like it!

You are race obsessed, Boxxy! You are way lighter and not quite as tall, you would hand me my ar5e on there. We already know this, let's jot you down as having won already!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

You know sometimes I wonder what's the point of FTP??.....as it seems it's not universal....e.g. ....mine is 203 and for about an hour I can hold on av 2.9w/kg...
    the other week I was doing a group ride for people up to 3w/kg....it starts off
    keep it at 2.5 w/kg guys .......to which I find I'm doing 3w/kg to keep up with some at 2.5
    my point is my 203 FTP is different someone else's 203 FTP...the same as the w/kg...init??
    or are we back to the TRAx thing..ha ha ha

Are/were those others alongside you at that point putting out more than the 2.5wkg, that's the question? I would say, people were just putting out more than the stated amount.

FTP is only one part of it though isn't it, because then you must factor in weight.

That's then before you get to tolerances on people's rigs. Only way to get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet is people using the exact same rig.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I read on Zwift pages that your speed on Zwift is altered by several areas, height makes you 15 seconds slower per lap per cm height difference, also a heavier rider will ride faster on the flat as he can do more power per KG, but loses out up hill on long rides.

I find that with my power meter set at 100% I can power up 5% climbs and overtake riders that have just passed me on the flat.... Seems strange that being twice as heavy as them I can go up hill faster and have more Watts per KG. However on the 14% climbs I actually go BACKWARDS.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

300+ is just ridiculous, more so considering the age of the guys. They clearly haven't calibrated their trainers properly on a warm tyre.

The 20% increase doesn't seem likely either as that would still put his ftp at over 250.

Anyway, have a look at the YouTube link I just posted on the Zwift thread. Shane Miller compares the Flow (the Tacx model I use) to his P1 power meters.

I agree its all majorly fishy! The main chap (one of the bosses) had a great year last year, but not that good in my mind. There's a classic seg near my house he put me onto, its basically 20 mile square so good for equalising some of the wind with some (Cambridge) climbing. I went out right at the end of the season after a bum year and did him by 5 or 6 mins.

Interesting this, I’ve heard of people going from a kickr to a Neo and upping there ftp.?
    Last edited by Avoid Paris; 14th February 2018 at 5:27 PM.