Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AAAAAARRRRRGGG! I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

Firstly thanks to Vlad et al for ongoing patience with my flip-flopping.

So, here's the conundrum. I currently have a 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team with Ultegra SL groupset (also 2008) and a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pros. The bike runs sooooooooooo nicely and handles so well even though the components are starting to get a little care-worn and could do with replacing. I have started riding longer sportives and have been rather achey after about 40 miles, although a proper bike fit last June has helped with a bunch of issues - and let's be honest, no one is going to leap off a bike after a century.

Now, I have been advised that riding what is basically a crit bike for anything more than about 50 or 60 miles is bound to hurt and that I should look at a bike with a more relaxed fit, like a Roubaix, Endurace or Domaine (etc etc). I can fully understand what "they" mean, but I really am loathed to give up my Soloist. I also have limited funds, somewhere around the 1700 mark. As far as I can see, I have two options:

1. Buy a new "sportive" bike, which will probably have disc brakes but most likely 105 groupset and naff(er) wheels, and then start the long upgrade slog. Less gucci bike but hopefully fewer aches and pains too.

or

2. Sped the cash on eTap and maybe some new bars (I quite like the Dada Superleggero) and just be happy riding my Soloist, knowing that after a numbe rof miles things may start to ache a bit (maybe stretch more and do some yoga?!?). Gucci(er) bike, but a bit of aches and pains.

Any thoughts on which way to go?

Cheers muchly!

Personally, I'd upgrade the Soloist. eTap is a real feature.

1,700 won't buy you a similarly exciting sportive bike, and no road bike, even a Domane/Roubaix will give you a limo-like ride.

It would seem a shame not to ride your 'best' bike on big events... as you say, you will not spring off any bike after 100 miles. Maybe a different saddle and bars might make it better too.

No question a strong core will give you more support and make for less aches and pains.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

+1 PRS...why change a bike your happy with...upgrade it to etap

My bike is super aggressive Cippollini RB1k...it's not the most comfty but if you want the looks something has got to give....so I'll take the pain anyday.

but for zwifting ...I use my Dogma...now that's a comfty bike ( frame)

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yeah - do the upgrade and keep your bike and things will get better. You can always put a upward bar stem on to raise the bars a bit to help with the hunched pain and discomfort.

Later you can save up and get a nicer bike.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Thanks loads for the advice guys, really appreciate it. You're right, snd I've decided to upgrade rather than buy a completely new bike. I'll be having a chat to my LBS tomorrow!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    You could buy the groupset off the web cheaper than your LBS can provide it to you, and then ask them to do the fitting so they get some of the work.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Worth asking the LBS the question though... my local lot will get close to on-line pricing.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

So guys I went and eTapped my Soloist. It feels a bit like uberpimping a Renalt Cleo but who cares, eh? The change is sensationional - as are the changes - and it feels like I've given my bike a new lease of life. I'll probably still upgrade at some point, but more likely just the frame rather than the whole bike - and now for a few years yet.

Last edited by turbohobbit; 29th April 2018 at 3:25 PM.

Congrats...etap is just magic....i might get another set for my zwift bike...toying with the idea

Looks very smart, I'm sure it rides well. Good to have given the old stager a new lease of life, and as you say, you could always buy a different frame down the line if the mood takes you as you've got some excellent kit there.