Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    So if Nicks is low 40's, Vamps is low 50's and Marty's is mid 50's.....then mine is too high?? For a 45yo??
    Try measuring again after 5 minutes of sitting down (not looking at a screen), or first thing in the morning. You'll be amazed the difference controlled breathing can do to your heart rate.

I wouldn't worry about it being 'too high' as so many variable affect your heart rate. You may just be genetically predisposed to that resting heart rate. Besides stopping for a few minutes watching your heart rate on the screen may not be helpful as you may be increasing anxiety wanting your heart rate to be low...if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid Paris View Post
    I follow a pro on strava and posts his heart rate. Amazeballs although yesterday in the tour of Catalunya he averaged 147 bpm. Seen him do efforts on zwift averaging 99 bpm where I was more like 140,150.
    It's annoying isn't it! Incredible fitness levels.

Can remember comparing one effort I did on the coast road to Cardiff a few days after the Tour of Britain went that way. The pros did it in a nasty headwind and I benefited from a tailwind. I beat some of their times, but bearing in mind that were on a 180km stage and I probably did about 30km. Anyway, looking on Strava some of the pros did the segment with heart rates in the 120s whilst I was over 160!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Pro HRs are insane!

I have a mate, think I posted on here about him. Regularly putting in 200+ HR peaks. He borrowed my HRM, still got them, he borrowed my Garmin... guess what...

In the end I convinced him to go see a Dr, they didn't really do much. A mate's Dad that's a GP thinks its worrying but hey ho.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Mine is around 43bpm lounging about. See it up to 190 at the tail end of V02max intervals. Resting varies a lot depending on external influences, e.g alcohol, coffee, Emily Ratajkowski.

Its also interesting watching HR during intervals... e.g for a given power output, HR is higher when spinning quickly vs grinding, so HR only tells part of the story. Generally its better and more sustainable to load your CV system rather than your muscles.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

When I was younger and fitter my resting HR was in the mid 40's a and was once as low as 38. More recently it was in the mid 50's but as I've developed AF it isn't really reliable anymore as it is as likely to throw in some extra beats as miss some. My max is now around 170 which isn't bad given the standard measure or 220 - age means is should be 152 but again its unreliable as my rate can't respond as well to demand with the AF.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Resting varies a lot depending on external influences, e.g alcohol, coffee, Emily Ratajkowski.
    Okay - I googled her - and now my HR is about 200 again.

Looking at images of Norah Batty to get it back down again.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Emily Ratajkowski.

Its also interesting watching HR during intervals... e.g for a given power output, HR is higher when spinning quickly vs grinding, so HR only tells part of the story. Generally its better and more sustainable to load your CV system rather than your muscles.
    This, this and this!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Okay - I googled her - and now my HR is about 200 again. .
    Lol....mines now 253

My resting HR is 51 (measured by my FitBit but confirmed at 50 by my nursey wife) and the max I've seen it is 184.

Normally it doesn't go above 168 when on the bike.

I'm 47 for reference :-)

My strava pro who I follow, day 2 tour of Catalunya 130 av bpm max 187. 114 miles 8000ft climbing. Absolute doddle