Question How fast do 12 year olds ride on average?

Very simple question, how fast do 12 year olds ride? Just curious.

Thinking of entering a juniors race then?

i reckon I could take them on

My son is 10 so rides in U12s races and when Circuit Racing he averages 17.1mph....and just about makes top 10.The podium kids are averaging 19-20mph over 5 miles.
    On a local road route of say 20 miles with 2000ft of ascent he’ll average 11-12mph.

Depends on level and whether it's track or road racing.

Any British Cycling approved race for kids requires them to be on restricted gearing so he can actually lap quicker than I said above but BC recommend restricted gearing so the kids don’t potentially damage their growing muscles/tendons etc.
    He’s currently on 34/11 gearing but I can lock off the rear at 18t and he can then use his 46 front(46/18) but he still only has 8 gears from 16.
    There are some really fast 12-14 year olds out there!
    Last edited by ibbo68; 30th March 2018 at 1:58 PM.

Yup, there is a 12yo lad who comes along to chain gangs, will happily scoot along at 40kmh+ with his dad.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

That's hugely impressive PRS.

I really wish I had got into cycling at a young age, instead of an almost over-the-hill adult.

It's not something I can file under a regret as it wasn't an opportunity that ever arose, or something that I showed an interest in. I was very much into football, rugby and athletics as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Depends on level and whether it's track or road racing.
    This ^^ Also depends on bike, my average speed increased by 10 mph when I switched from mountain to road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    That's hugely impressive PRS.

I really wish I had got into cycling at a young age, instead of an almost over-the-hill adult.

It's not something I can file under a regret as it wasn't an opportunity that ever arose, or something that I showed an interest in. I was very much into football, rugby and athletics as a kid.
    Pretty much the same sentiment here, Nick. I'm sure my parents would have backed me up had I shown any interest in cycling at a young age, but I just hadn't. My son fell in love with it almost instantly after he was exposed to it.

As I happen to be a parent to a 12 year old cyclist this is a subject close to my heart. Here's some results from a recent Under 12 race, with a certain Master Woodhouse just missing out on a podium position with an average speed of about 20 mph.

He regularly shames me on the club run too