Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Decreased chain life: are they getting weaker?

Since I switched to 11 speed I've found that my chains are only lasting 1500 - 2000 miles at most measured with a chain gauge at 1 mm stretch and I'm no powerhouse. These are top end Shimano Dura Ace and KMC chains whereas I found 10 speed Campagnolo Record would last a year/5-6000 miles or so with the same Squirt wax lube.

So is it just because they're thinner as they're 11 speed or should I be buying cheaper, heavier, lower spec chains, or am I just unlucky?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I'd say both - 11 spd is thinner so won't be as strong, and top-end stuff tends to be lighter and weaker rather than stronger (someone in my club keeps trashing DA cassettes - the rivets break).

Go for a less top-end chain - probably only a few grams lighter nyway.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I iron mine - so they don't get Creased at all.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    ?????????? You may have not noticed that this was posted by me, its not trolling from meghaakashcse! Or are you turning into Eliot and being totally obtuse?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    ?????????? You may have not noticed that this was posted by me, its not trolling from meghaakashcse! Or are you turning into Eliot and being totally obtuse?

'Decreased' chain life.... he needs to get out more !

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Well I do have all day to think about it.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Got over 5,000 miles out of my Record 11s chain and cassette no problems, I cross chain like a bitch too.

Bike only gets used in the best weather though.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Ha ha ha....I did not just spit out a mouth full of beer...ha ha ha

My chain is over 2000miles old ( sram red) and it's still going strong, maybe it's the lube you use....do you put the chain though a chain cleaning tool before lubing up??

9,10 or 11 speed shouldn't matter because the actual chain doesn't stretch it's the wear on the pins ( so I've read)
    in a old book my wife got me years ago......it said to max the life out of a chain, you can actually take it off and flip it 180, put back on and your chain is like new again

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    .....maybe it's the lube you use....do you put the chain though a chain cleaning tool before lubing up??
    I have used Squirt for as long as I can remember, if anything the chain should last longer because you don't get the grinding paste in the linkages like you do with standard oil based lubes. And yes I clean every new chain with Muckoff and detergent then rinse in fresh water and allow to dry to remove the lube it came with before I give it a liberal first coating of Squirt. I've just put on a new KMC Gold chain on my winter/touring bike so we'll see how long that one lasts.

One issue I had considered is that I'm running a 10 speed Campagnolo Record chainset with 11 speed cassette on this bike but it all runs as smoothly as can be, smoother than the full 11 speed on my Cannondale in fact, but having said that the chain on that is only lasting he same length of time regardless.