Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Salbutamol only effect is to stabilize the lung rate for asthma folk who could and would die otherwise. It raises the circulation very briefly at time of puff, stays in the blood for a very short period. No asthma cyclists on the 'tube say extra puffs do anything. It is not a corticosteroid, or an anabolic steroid. The most that can be said is that it's a performance/life enabler,not enhancer,and a cup of coffee would be far stronger. There may be some effect lasting seconds if used on the road, but Froome has never done this. If he truly is an asthmatic, he needs to use the puffer.

It's a bloody awful condition I would imagine, and can be triggered by high end endurance athletics in some people. I've never used one, I'm not a sufferer, neither would i ever use one and think about a perf gain. The UCI level is 7or 8, and Froome over many years of testing has never had a problem. It's the first thing that shows up in a urine test

So it was either a heinous asthma attack, or a faulty capsule, or a conspiracy by the lab to fool the ignorant public. I'd imagine he'd have no problem with his lung rate during a stage.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Sky have brought on themselves... "We will race clean" they said. Well, ok, apart from a bit of tramadol. Oh and something in a jiffybag. What was in it? Ummmm..... ah yes, I remember, an inhaler to combat an existing condition. Medical records you say? Dammit, someone nicked my laptop with all the records on from my car. Twice the allowable level of Salbutamol? Ah, that'll be the test being wrong. Twice.
    Nicely summed up PRS. That's exactly the problem - they put themselves in the firing line with their vociferous proclamations of being whiter than white but then forgot to actually act whiter than white. And for those who were following procycling in the Armstrong era - there's a faint sense of 'deja vu'. Not saying Sky are guilty or not but I think anyone would be a fool to put their money on Sky being clean.

Let's revisit the debate in ooh, say 10 years!

Either way, maybe worth a tenner on Nibali to win the TdF 2017??
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Eliot is correct, when talking about the puffer, does not improve performance. Simples.

A mate's dad is a GP and did drug testing for the London Olympics. He says all it can do is restore lung capability that was already present through genetic make up and training.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Eliot is correct, when talking about the puffer, does not improve performance. Simples.
    He is correct but if it is taken orally or by injection in higher doses there is a school of thought that says it can.

(Wikipedia entry: 'In conclusion, no significant effects were detected for inhaled β2-agonists on endurance, strength or sprint performance in healthy athletes (by inhaler). There is some evidence indicating that systemic β2-agonists may have a positive effect on physical performance in healthy subjects, but the evidence base is weak'.

In theory it is impossible to take a high enough dose by inhaler to result in a urine level of greater than 1000 ng/ml which is why that is the cut off although clearly there has to be a grey zone. My understanding is that Froome's was 2000 ng/ml. The insinuation of this may be that if the levels are higher it has been taken by a different route. Alessandro Petacchi had a level of 1320 ng/ml and he was suspended.

No implication that either were taking this by a route other than inhaler with the intention of doping but those are the facts.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Ahhhhh, I see, makes it sound a little more queer shall we say.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Coolio is right, it can be used possibly as an aid to recovery in huge doses, but it would be a bit silly for Froome to do this as it's the first thing that shows on the urine test. So instead of a Horlick's and a good night's sleep, he'd willingly throw it all away on one day? At days end it does not enhance performance, but MIGHT help in the healing bed time stuff. He's been at the sharp end and won so many times before and been clean, so it is a puzzle. Murky doings in the lab? Some experts on the BBC 'site have serious concerns re the lab. All the teams are doing everything to the limit of tue acceptance, and he does have the recovery ability of Roche with a bigger engine. I'd forgive him,and Petachi if I was Italian. Lance must be in hysterics. Oh those innocent days, while the world hunts for centimes.

There's an interesting and detailed recap/explanation of Froome's escape on Stage 19 - both plan and execution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    There's an interesting and detailed recap/explanation of Froome's escape on Stage 19 - both plan and execution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328
    ...and people just think they say"get out there and pedal"

That was a great read, cheers, Ports.