Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Been wondering why my Trek ALR4 Disc feels so much slower than my old Bianchi Hybrid

Got a Trek ALR4 Disc as my new Winter hack late last year, the discs were great, the 32mm tyres rubbish.

Now the good weather is back and I'm out on my decent bikes again, I really notice how slow the Trek is. Firstly it weighs over 10kg with the mudguards on, but then, so did the Hybrid.

I took the crappy Bontrager 32mm tyres off, their grip levels in the dry and the wet were useless and I knew they must be very heavy. I have whacked some old Pro4 Comps on there that I had banging around. This has gone some way to livening up the ride.

Riding it last night on a familiar after work loop of 15miles, even with some effort I only recorded an 18.3av whereas on occasion, had snuck a 20 out of the Hybrid. I know it's early in the season and I've not been back on the road long... but something tells me this bike isn't as quick as the Hybrid, even though on the Hybrid I wasn't clipped in and presumably in a less racy position on the bike.

So now I am looking at the cluncky aftermarket adjustable mudguards, I know they weigh around 500g so there is that saving straight away if I take them off. Got me thinking though, how much aero disadvantage do we thing mudguards add?

Found this interesting tit bit:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/...orld-bicycles/

I don't really want to spend any money on the bike, it's supposed to be my daily hack that I don't care about and is already well over the maximum amount covered away from the house on my household policy. So do I take the Pina off the Turbo rig and use it on the nice dry days? Only thing is, it then wont be insured and people get arsey at my work when I bring it in to the office. Also would mean I don't have a Turbo rig to jump on at the drop of a hat, which makes Zwift sessions less likely.
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 2 Weeks Ago at 1:21 PM.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

p.s. also figured rotational mass is up on this bike with the disc brake wheels, was running Conti Sport Contacts on the Hybrid which were great, they were 35mm IIRC. So that's an advantage to the Trek already given I'm running the 23mm on there now.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Just accept it for what it is, think of the training benefits... and enjoy the performance when you get on the 'Nago!

Weight shouldn't make a massive difference to speed on the flat, so it must be more down to wind resistance (and its hard to see how a drop-bar bike could be worse than a hybrid), or your position, ie less powerful or less aero despite the drop bars.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    So now I am looking at the clucky aftermarket adjustable mudguards, I know they weigh around 500g so there is that saving straight away if I take them off.
    Might be a weight savinjg but it's also a very wet a**e/back and dirty bike when it rains.

I don't really want to spend any money on the bike, it's supposed to be my daily hack that I don't care about.
    You've said it all there Marty - it's your daily hack - and yet you're obsessing about your average speed on a ride home! Ignore your speed and just enjoy the ride home and the fact that you're not sat in a metal cage queue!

Sage council! I still may do some sunny days on the old Sunday Best. Yes its only a ride home, but its not as enjoyable haha

Carla, your views on the aero aspect though? =)

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Seal up the frame with wax and then squirt in Helium - this will make the bike lighter.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Just accept it for what it is, think of the training benefits... and enjoy the performance when you get on the 'Nago!

Weight shouldn't make a massive difference to speed on the flat, so it must be more down to wind resistance (and its hard to see how a drop-bar bike could be worse than a hybrid), or your position, ie less powerful or less aero despite the drop bars.
    All very odd, tyres have at least helped. As you say, on paper there is no way the Hybrid could be faster. Guess I could keep the drivetrain in a better state too!

Carla, your views on the aero aspect though? =)
    Well I guess it depends on the style - I suspect those that follow the circumference of the tyre probably add a little resistance but maybe those that stick out more mtb style actually help the air flow better depending on the angle of adjustment

Technical, just how I like it =)

They are the full on grown up adjustable ones that hug the tyre and have the little rubbery bits at the bottom of each one.