Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am generally suspicious of manufacturer quoted weights as well!

Unless they are properly weighed by the dealer, fully built and specced.

I presume if the weight was miles off you would have good reason for returning for a full refund.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Ribble Gran Fondo. It has a sportive geometry and you could get an excellent setup for the money you want to spend.
    Two mates had the originator, they loved em and they are handsome. One of them had frame failure though.
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 15th June 2018 at 12:29 PM.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Ribble, especially the Gran Fondo seem amazingly tempting until you realise they don't quote weights. I'm always suspicious when manufactures don't do that but when I did my research (i.e. actually phoned Ribble and asked them) the Gran Fondo was coming up at least 1kg heavier than equivalent from most of the opposition and this appeared across the range. Also looking at reviews there have been some warranty issues. Both these comments relate to when i was looking for a new bike 2 years ago so things may have changed and they remain outstanding value for money so this may sway the decision but while I can afford it I'd still rather pay a little more for peace of mind.
    Yeah the original GF wasn't light by any stretch, they were using inferior CF back then, not sure if they've upped their game since those days? They go on though, both my mate's still have theirs, albeit one is on his second frame after a warranty replacement.

As PRS says, you never know the weight unit you stick it on the scales... I'm rocking 6.73kg with 60mm deep sections, not bad and my brand doesn't go in for light bikes supposedly, they state they are more interested in ride quality and longevity.

That said, I have since gone up from 23mm to 25mm so I need a reweigh really.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I am generally suspicious of manufacturer quoted weights as well!

Unless they are properly weighed by the dealer, fully built and specced.
    The Supersix was quoted as 6.4 kg without pedals by the manufacturer and it weighed 6.4 on my £200 scales in the surgery which are accurate to 10 gm. So far so good. After the eTap was fitted the LBS weighed it on hand held electronic scales and it was 5.95 with pedals. When I got it home I weighed it again and it was 6.4 kg so the LBS scale was way out but it did still mean it had lost nearly 200 gm with eTap over Dura Ace mechanical as the pedals weigh 185 gm.
    I presume if the weight was miles off you would have good reason for returning for a full refund.
    I bought a De Rosa with Ultegra Di2 from Wiggle with the promise from them that it would weigh 7.2 kg. I decided as it had a heavy cheap set of Fulcrums on I could get it well below 7 kg with some decent wheels. When it arrived it weighed 8.4 kg which was disappointment enough but I could not get the gears to index, there was damage to the rear mech and a bolt missing from the stem facing so I sent it back although I cannot fault Wiggle's customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Two mates had the originator, they loved em and they are handsome. One of them had frame failure though.
    They were indeed handsome, similar to the De Rosa as it happens - more so than the Supersix but looks can deceive! Second sentence confirms what I'd read.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Surprised we agree on the looks of your Sunday best, as you say though, let the performance do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Surprised we agree on the looks of your Sunday best,
    It has grown on me and of course now I've spent my had earned cash on it placebo effect comes into play and I have believe I love it! That said, originally I didn't like the acid red and wanted something rather more subtle and erm....black. However, I'm actually glad its a bit flash and stands out from the herd.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I like flashy on bikes, not quite Boxxy levels of flashy but I don't mind making a statement =)

Not that I do on my current Sunday Best.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Ribble, especially the Gran Fondo seem amazingly tempting until you realise they don't quote weights. I'm always suspicious when manufactures don't do that but when I did my research (i.e. actually phoned Ribble and asked them) the Gran Fondo was coming up at least 1kg heavier than equivalent from most of the opposition and this appeared across the range. Also looking at reviews there have been some warranty issues. Both these comments relate to when i was looking for a new bike 2 years ago so things may have changed and they remain outstanding value for money so this may sway the decision but while I can afford it I'd still rather pay a little more for peace of mind.
    Just checked 3 Ribble bikes (GF, 883 and R872) on their site and they do provide the weights of the small frame for each. When I was weighing up (pardon the pun) choices for my Ribble, I sent them a Tweet asking for the weight of a medium 883 with Di2 and Mavic wheelset and they advised 7.9 kg which was spot on.

Long distance after sales support was a potential issue, but tbf, they have been fantastic every time I have contacted them and when the pop-up shop was in Cardiff, they were very helpful.

Don't dismiss an Aero frame bike... there is some secret sauce going on with them. I have this one for example.
    https://www.argon18bike.com/en/bikes...nitrogen-white

Its actually amazingly comfortable over very long rides, but there is a bit of extra versatility there if you need to slam the front and stick tri-bar extensions on. You can even reverse the seatpost for a TT position.

You can improve your flexibility with exercise/stretching.
    That is a nice bike

Scott foil, they shift