Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    But the Welsh have not ever won the World Cup have they????

So how can your relatives have a go. Just remind them that we invaded them and took over their Country and they still havent got it back yet, despite burning all those cottages.
    They only qualified for one and that was in 1958 where they managed to draw all their group games, then win a play-off against Hungary before losing to Brazil 1-0 in the quarter finals.

That amounts to great success and is still part of Welsh folklore...as is their last win against NZ in 1953. They bang on about that every time in the build up to a test match with the All Blacks and they then have the audacity to complain about England fans mentioning winning the world cup in 2003!

Coincidentally, England also drew all their group games in 1958, including holding the eventual winners, Brazil to a 0-0 draw, but we were knocked out after losing the play-off match against the USSR.

England really need to find a playmaker in midfield. Dele hasn't shown his club form in an England shirt yet and I know he's still only 22, but he needs to get that consistency at international level. Mbappe is 19 and producing the goods at the top level. I'm not sure on alternatives though. Barkley has been crap since his injury and transfer to Chelsea. At his best, he's a player that can make things happen, although he is prone to the occasional brainfart. Simply put, we need a Luka Modric. We have far too much reliance on set piece and we lack the ability to create chances through the middle against good teams. Walker struggled at centre back, but that's no surprise...he could probably play the wing back role that Trippier played, but then he'd only be a replacement or injury cover. Stones was a bit hit and miss in defence, but we know that about him. His mistakes and poor positioning have been costly in the past and will continue to be costly. I'd consider playing him in the holding role in midfield. He has the skill set to play there. He's excellent on the ball and any mistakes can (hopefully) be tidied up by the centre backs.

As for the rest, they just need to improve their accuracy, whether that is in front of goal or with passing and I think that will happen.

Definitely stick with:
    Pickford
    Maguire
    Trippier
    Henderson
    Lingard
    Alli - has to start creating
    Kane
    Sterling - needs fewer starts, may be more useful off the bench
    Rashford - needs more starts
    Vardy - as above

Considering changing position:
    Walker
    Stones - tricky one as Henderson has done little wrong and Dier is next in line for that position. Probably stuck with Stones at centre back, but he needs to improve

Replace:
    Young
    Delph

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    Watching something isn't a sport. Doing something is (as long as it' a sport!)
    What are you on about?
    YOU started this by saying there’s plenty out there who don’t like football(ie non fans) then change your angle when it suits?
    This thread is about England fans.Don’t contribute if you’re not one!
    At the moment I’m drinking coffee.I’m also stood up in the garden so by your wierd logic I’m doing sport. Keep diggng.
    By the way if watching something isn’t a sport...then how can sitting in a chair by a pond/river/canal watching a float or rod end for hours be?
    As I said keep digging

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Definitely stick with:
    Pickford
    Maguire
    Trippier
    Henderson
    Lingard
    Alli - has to start creating
    Kane
    Sterling - needs fewer starts, may be more useful off the bench
    Rashford - needs more starts
    Vardy - as above

Considering changing position:
    Walker
    Stones - tricky one as Henderson has done little wrong and Dier is next in line for that position. Probably stuck with Stones at centre back, but he needs to improve

Replace:
    Young
    Delph
    I thought that Stones has been pretty good - yes there will be the odd mistake but I think that goes for most players. He's still young and I think that we should persevere and watch his improvement as he matures.

Sterling is another that we should persevere with - he's been instrumental in all of our best passages of play - he keeps getting in dangerous positions and defenders are scared of him. His end product has been a little bit lacking at time but these are fine margins.

I'm not sure that Alli has been fully fit. He also needs to concentrate a bit more on football rather than winning "clever" free kicks.

We've got something to build on - lets hope everyone leaves Southgate to grow this squad organically. Most of us weren't particularly aware of a number of these players - who knows what further unpolished gems may be on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    I thought that Stones has been pretty good - yes there will be the odd mistake but I think that goes for most players. He's still young and I think that we should persevere and watch his improvement as he matures.

Sterling is another that we should persevere with - he's been instrumental in all of our best passages of play - he keeps getting in dangerous positions and defenders are scared of him. His end product has been a little bit lacking at time but these are fine margins.

I'm not sure that Alli has been fully fit. He also needs to concentrate a bit more on football rather than winning "clever" free kicks.

We've got something to build on - lets hope everyone leaves Southgate to grow this squad organically. Most of us weren't particularly aware of a number of these players - who knows what further unpolished gems may be on their way.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Stones, but I'm not 100% confident with him at centre back. He consistently makes mistakes and has done since he was at Everton. I've always thought he would make a good holding midfielder. His vision and technical ability could improve our midfield play, plus we can still use his aerial threat in the box and as defensive cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    YOU started this by saying there’s plenty out there who don’t like football(ie non fans) then change your angle when it suits?
    Er, show me where I've changed my angle? There are plenty of people who have no interest in football - that's a fact. I have no problem with anyone who does enjoy it. I was just pointing out that it pisses me off when the media say 'the whole country' is behind England when they aint.

The rest of you post is just crap straw-man stuff. Anyway, I shall leave this thread for you all to discuss whether we'll be 3rd or 4th Now chill while you drink your coffee.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    What are you on about? By the way if watching something isn’t a sport...then how can sitting in a chair by a pond/river/canal watching a float or rod end for hours be? As I said keep digging
    Blimey - who bit more the FISH or Ibbo ????
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

My mate does this fishing lark.....try it he tells me....
    this is what he does...

goes away for the weekend, sets up his stuff, casts out 2-3 rods , hooks up his bite alarms, baits the swims etc....then pulls out his bed thing gets a book , sparks up a joint and drink beer...waiting ....waiting.....fook knows what he is waiting for as he catches fook all...ha ha ha....
    must admit I fail to find any 'sport' in it...just sounds like he is playing with himself

i think the term 'whole country ' is more down to the majority ...bit like the world wars....not all the country's were fighting...but it was still classed as a world war!!

other than the 2012 Olympics.... only the World Cup brings a majority of people together IMO....you can never keep everyone happy, believe me I've tried.

Indeed. We are leaving the EU based on the 'will of the people' although that actually means well under half of the population!

Many more people watched England play than voted Leave.

So, based on that definition, the country was behind the England team.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 12th July 2018 at 8:38 PM.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Ive got to say it....other than 20mins in the second half..Croatia were the better team.

the first two goals by France where not right....the free kick was given because the player dived....and I fail to see how the penalty was a handball...as in deliberate ...to me it was just a balance hand the ball lightly touched....a hollow victory if you ask me ...in all it's was a really good World Cup and I'm really impressed with Russia as a country...and our Harry won the golden boot too
    Last edited by Boxhilljunkie; 15th July 2018 at 8:39 PM.