Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

The 'what are you listening to' thread

A wise man once said 'if music be the food of love, play on...'

Who am I to argue with Simon Cowell?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to share whatever choons we're listening to of late, or just like in general.

Feel free to post the name of any artist/song you've been listening to, or include a YouTube (or other link) to share the video.

It can be any style, any genre.

The first rule of the 'what are you listening to' thread is that there are no rules. This isn't the top trumps thread, more details of which can be found here

An optional extra is to include why the song means anything to you. It doesn't have to, remember, there are no rules

To get the ball rolling...

The hugely talented David Lanz playing his variation of Pachelbel's Canon in D:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8qOuwNMnqM

As pieces of classical music go, Pachelbel's Canon in D stands the test of time. It's over 300 years old and is known all around the world, particularly as instrumental music for weddings. It is perhaps ruined to some extent by the occasion.

Countless variations exist for different instruments. I think it's still an amazing piece of music, but at the same time, an extremely simple piece of music in some cases...especially simple for the cello player who just repeats the same 8 chords from start to finish.

After a long day, I like to unwind with a glass of wine and more often or not, this version of Canon will be on the playlist before bed.

I'm a radio head at the mo.Covering all styles.

Back int the day ...I used to be a hardcore raver....only listened to house, garage and rave...now I'm old I'll listen to anything...but when I'm cooking I go on utube and hunt down old skool tunes
    tune of the week for me is... Joey Beltrem Energy Flash ( graffiti remix)... not a tune for everyone but you had to be there back in the day

Currently the album Holland by the Beach Boys. A world away from the usual "surf sound" they are known for. As a life long fan of them I like all their stuff but this is sublime. Also check out albums Pet Sounds and Surf Up. Timeless classics.
    All the gear and no idea.

Heard this song yesterday which I hadn’t heard for a while and duly downloaded https://youtu.be/Ou96vLl--e4

Everything and anything except modern pop, Ed Sheeran, Adele and rap, from classical, stuff from 'my day' the 60/70's, right up today. I just stick my list on shuffle and take what comes. Current favourite Garbage but their latest album, 'Strange Little Birds' is not as good as their earlier stuff. I never tire of listening to Pink Floyd.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 15th June 2018 at 10:41 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

As others, I listen to a wide range of genres so it is difficult to say. Much easier to point to what I have been listening to in the last few days and that is Plini.

Plini is a young promising Australian guitar player. If someone likes instrumental music, check out Plini - Selenium Forest.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Back int the day ...I used to be a hardcore raver....only listened to house, garage and rave...now I'm old I'll listen to anything...but when I'm cooking I go on utube and hunt down old skool tunes
    tune of the week for me is... Joey Beltrem Energy Flash ( graffiti remix)... not a tune for everyone but you had to be there back in the day
    Good lad, me too! Missed the proper rave scene only properly getting out in 97. But I was there for when DnB took off before dying in 2000/1. Then I got into 4/4 with Techno, Electro, Minimal, Tech-House and never looked back.

On the Turbo, it has to be Techno or Tech-House, really miss not going out anymore. We used to go to festivals abroad like Sonar (which is on now). Miss it sorely!

As for the main purpose of this thread, I love music so so much, I couldn't possibly go into all of my tastes and experiences. My Dad was a classical choir singer and used to travel the world with the UK's top choral choir. So I have classical influences through to Reggae/Dancehall through to Techno and a whole lot more between.

Easier to say what I don't like.... mainstream pop disgusts me, BGT, X-Factor all meritless drivel designed to make money whilst p!ssing on the heart of what real music is all about. Music is the best thing we have, it sets us apart from the animals (or most of them anyway=).
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I agree BGT, X-Factor etc is mind fudge and can't bear to be in same room as telly when youngest watches it. However some pop is good, for my sins I quite like a few Taylor Swift songs, Delicate a particular current fav of mine. Then again when younger I couldn't stand C&W but now quite like it. Still hate heavy metal though....
    All the gear and no idea.

Interestingly enough, the chord sequence of Pachelbel's canon is found in many pieces of music. Listen to Oasis' Don't look back in Anger for example.

'Home' for me is blues rock... but I like all sorts.

I went to a Joe Bonamassa gig at Hampton Court on Tuesday, which had a whole new category of completely bloody awesome all to itself. Towering talent from all the band, some great tunes.
    Here is some footage from the gig, taken with a sandwich I think, but gives a reasonable impression. Guitar solo from around 4:38 if you like that sort of thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdPUq0oc3k

I also find myself exposed/subjected to the latest music by my daughters... I actually really like the new Ariana Grande song No Tears Left to Cry, and found myself enjoying Cardi B I Like It.

But this is 3 1/2 minutes of absolute bliss to soothe the most troubled brow...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5Uyk7Qr8
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone