Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I agree as a generalisation, music has suffered in the last decade or two, the internet has a lot to answer for, giving people voices that otherwise wouldn't have been good enough to make the grade. So we are swamped with a lot of dross and it keeps on coming, so music is a lot more throwaway today sadly.

Also with people's attentions spans going down, means people are more likely to just be spoonfed their music. Which is why I have never been one for the radio, don't deny there is still good stuff out there and you might be introduced to it by the radio. But by and large, the radio is part of the mainstream throwaway culture IMO.

I will give PRS' links a listen to, I know he has musical integrity from precious chats. 'London Grammar' stands out to me as some of the best new music I have heard in the last few years.

PRS, you heard of 'The Civil Wars'? They've split now, but they did a great album.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Spotify is a good way to pick up new music as it makes suggestions, also find Youtube suggestions have sorted me out some new music in the past.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Back int the day ...I used to be a hardcore raver....only listened to house, garage and rave...now I'm old I'll listen to anything...but when I'm cooking I go on utube and hunt down old skool tunes
    tune of the week for me is... Joey Beltrem Energy Flash ( graffiti remix)... not a tune for everyone but you had to be there back in the day
    The original mix takes me back!

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid Paris View Post
    Heard this song yesterday which I hadnít heard for a while and duly downloaded https://youtu.be/Ou96vLl--e4
    Can vaguely remember that one, although I was only a nipper when it came out.

I was helping the missus with some painting at her work a little while ago and Magic FM played the following tune which took me back a few years:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7HXmzxqV8

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    The original mix takes me back!
    Funny you should say that, mate, I came across my 350 strong MiniDisc collection last night, a large proportion of them are oldskool rave sets from all the parties we went to =)

I would not like to even guess how many hours of my life went into the MD collection!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Interestingly enough, the chord sequence of Pachelbel's canon is found in many pieces of music. Listen to Oasis' Don't look back in Anger for example.

'Home' for me is blues rock... but I like all sorts.

I went to a Joe Bonamassa gig at Hampton Court on Tuesday, which had a whole new category of completely bloody awesome all to itself. Towering talent from all the band, some great tunes.
    Here is some footage from the gig, taken with a sandwich I think, but gives a reasonable impression. Guitar solo from around 4:38 if you like that sort of thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdPUq0oc3k

I also find myself exposed/subjected to the latest music by my daughters... I actually really like the new Ariana Grande song No Tears Left to Cry, and found myself enjoying Cardi B I Like It.

But this is 3 1/2 minutes of absolute bliss to soothe the most troubled brow...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5Uyk7Qr8
    Along with the chord sequence replication, it is probably one of the most sampled songs too.

Recently Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello released a song called Bad Things which samples Canon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbQ4I3Eidg

Not a bad song either imo.

Love Hans Zimmer's work. Joi is a lovely piece of music. He has produced some outstanding soundtracks. One of my faves of his is Chevaliers de Sangreal from The Da Vinci Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FyRZbqfeM

Not a huge fan of blues as a genre but there's no denying the pure instrument playing abilities of the musicians.

Hans Zimmer is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Funny you should say that, mate, I came across my 350 strong MiniDisc collection last night, a large proportion of them are oldskool rave sets from all the parties we went to =)

I would not like to even guess how many hours of my life went into the MD collection!
    I've still got my vinyl collection...well, I'm down to about 300-400 now as I sold some when I sold my decks. I converted them to digital before selling so I still have the choons to listen to or mix with on Ableton. The collection ranges from breakbeat, progressive house, trance, soundtracks plus a few classic albums like Floyd's The Wall '79 press.

Sadly though, I just don't have the time to make any mixes these days. Keep promising to put new ones together as I'm still getting hold of new music, but the bike seems to take up so much free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Back int the day ...I used to be a hardcore raver....only listened to house, garage and rave...now I'm old I'll listen to anything...but when I'm cooking I go on utube and hunt down old skool tunes
    tune of the week for me is... Joey Beltrem Energy Flash ( graffiti remix)... not a tune for everyone but you had to be there back in the day
    Did you ever go to Strawberry Sundae at Cloud 9, Vauxhall Boxie?

Not hardcore, but certainly uplifting hard house. Lost quite a few weekends there. In fact, I can recall walking through the streets after kicking out time on morning to find out Princess Di had died.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I've still got my vinyl collection...well, I'm down to about 300-400 now as I sold some when I sold my decks. I converted them to digital before selling so I still have the choons to listen to or mix with on Ableton. The collection ranges from breakbeat, progressive house, trance, soundtracks plus a few classic albums like Floyd's The Wall '79 press.

Sadly though, I just don't have the time to make any mixes these days. Keep promising to put new ones together as I'm still getting hold of new music, but the bike seems to take up so much free time.
    Sweet as a nut! Yeah all my mate's had decks. Loads still have vinyl but they're all using Traktor Scratch and Ableton now. Love me Breakbeat, old DnB, HipHop, you name it. Never really got into Trance, I was a rude boi DnB head at the time, so Trance didn't get a look in!