Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Road Traffic question for Vlad?

Vlad, where's the law with regards to cyclists approaching a cross roads with a red light showing, where I am coming down the middle of the road (no opposing traffic) on the right hand side of the stationary cars going my way.

Filtering is it called? So as I get to the front, the lights go green and I am second in line of the vehicles now making their way across the cross roads. Next thing I know, some plank is revving his engine and coming up beside me and matching my speed. Making it impossible to take road position in front of him and behind the leading car. Through the next bit there is a squeeze and not enough room for 2 cars and any cyclists beside. So I would always take road position like a motorbike through here, in the morning due to traffic no one is going any faster than 20mph.

He was screaming at me so I returned the favour, we then had plenty of moments to talk as we got stopped for a RAB and then red lights.

He said "we are screamed at to look after the poor cyclists, yet you're cycling like that". To which I replied I am taking road position and was no different to a motorbike. Which of course he didn't agree with.

So where is the law on that one, Vlad? Does my descriptions make sense?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Found this, I'm right, he's wrong:

http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking...whilst-cycling
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

It seems there are laws that cyclists are not allowed to overtake motor vehicles and that if a motorist sees a cyclist he must overtake them. It is OK for a motor vehicle to hold up a cyclist after he's overtaken and pulled in front but not vice versa. I've searched the Highway Code but strangely I can't find them.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Had the ol' classic yesterday where a driver is pulling out on to the road you are already travelling down. Look to see you coming, figure you're going 8mph so pull out on you. You then have to take whack on the anchors, perform a 'life saver' and switch lanes to avoid hitting them.

I love it when they tell you are cycling dangerously (in their view) so figured the best thing they could do is add more danger through their actions.

I really don't know what is wrong with these people.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Well.... Cycle Law explained it quite well.

In Law it states that any vehicle travelling slower than 10 mph can be overtaken at any time less for solid white lines, unless to not overtake would lead to unnecessary congestion and delay.

(ie - if the solid white lines go on for 10 miles and there is no oncoming traffic then you can overtake as to not do so - would be stupid in reality)

There is no real mention of cycles filtering, as the law is old fashioned. But is not, NOT ALLOWED. Hence the forward stop sections now being placed on roads.

The aforementioned actions of numbnuts shadow boxing you is a classic case of road rage as you were in the spot that he wants and he cant be bothered to wait 10 seconds or less till you've cleared the section of road and then overtake in a normal manner.

His actions are therefore illegal and should be reported, however, not much would normally happed, unless the situation got completely out of hand and there was independent witnesses and video.

There are 3 types of driver on the roads.

1. Numbnuts - who is aggressive and a total arse. - 80% of drivers.
    2. Mrs Miggins - who does not think twice about turning or making manoeuvres without thought to consequences. No speed or distance comprehension. 15%
    3. The driving Instructor - drives like a saint.

At most times of the day we are all one of the above and sometimes a mix of 2.

I also dominate the road that I cycle and refuse to be pushed into the kerb and drain covers, I also take middle of the road through narrow sections of road, as to do so will make most other people back off or not enter that section of road at the same time. (oncoming traffic). It works 90% of the time.

But people don't like it sometimes and then they have the Vlad projectile (waterbottle) to remind them that I actually care about my like and would like to go home for tea and medals after getting my Strava segments.

Hope this helps.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    There are 3 types of driver on the roads.

1. Numbnuts - who is aggressive and a total arse. - 80% of drivers.
    2. Mrs Miggins - who does not think twice about turning or making manoeuvres without thought to consequences. No speed or distance comprehension. 15%
    3. The driving Instructor - drives like a saint.

At most times of the day we are all one of the above and sometimes a mix of 2.

Hope this helps.
    I'd disagree with your percentages #1 and 2 probably being about equal. I probably drive like #1 most of time but am aware of this so can be #3 when necessary. I can't say I'm ever Mrs Miggins but we do all occasionally make errors of judgement which make us feel like that in retrospect.

PS I've come across some driving instructors who act like #1.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    But people don't like it sometimes and then they have the Vlad projectile (waterbottle) to remind them that I actually care about my like and would like to go home for tea and medals after getting my Strava segments.
    Bet you miss having your warranty card to wave at them then see the reaction!
    Last edited by coolboarder; 20th June 2018 at 12:44 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

In my considered opinion Marty, the driver was being a twat.

The safest place for a cyclist at urban junctions is in front of the traffic, as Vlad says, thats the whole point of the cycle boxes.

The only time I would join and wait in a queue on my bike is in a relatively short one (ie one light change) in a rural area, as I don't think its considerate to hold up the cars again that have only recently waited behind and overtaken me.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

In this situation, holding people up doesn't even come into it. All the traffic is slow moving, this chump simply took exception to me coming past his car (presumably as I was on his right). Would have been interesting to see his reaction had I been on his left. I didn't have time to get to the front and enter the box on this occasion, but that is where I normally stop when waiting on that light.
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 20th June 2018 at 4:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    In this situation, holding people up doesn't even come into it. All the traffic is slow moving, this chump simply to exception to me coming past his car (presumably as I was on his right).
    As said many times before this is a daily occurrence for me. No lights but as I ride down a stretch of road where the numpties can't overtake the cars parked on the left because they can't judge the width of their vehicles and get through the gaps between the oncoming traffic, I sail past through the gap they leave and some start getting angry. The irony of the fact that if there is enough room to cycle past safely between them with room to spare they could have driven through is lost on them.

In the end it is all down to them taking exception because they're stuck in the queue and you're not.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time

This sums it all up really.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!