Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave TV shows

Fave TV shows

Seeing as we have a music thread, I thought we could have a thread to share our favourite TV shows too.

To get the ball rolling, I'm making my way through The Shield (again) at the moment. This is the third time I've watched it from start to finish and it's just as good as when I watched it the first time round. It's the best show I've ever seen. It has everything; gritty storylines, superb acting and character development and one of the best show finales ever.

Notable mentions go to (in no particular order):
    This is England '86, '88 and '90 (One of the best British dramas)
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    Archer
    Eastbound and Down
    I'm Alan Partridge
    The IT Crowd
    The League of Gentlemen
    Inside No. 9
    Sneaky Pete
    Workaholics
    Fawlty Towers
    Reaper
    Rick and Morty
    Westworld

I'm sure there's more...

How about you lot?

Twin Peaks (first 2 seasons, not the recent one)
    The Wire
    The IT crowds
    Mighty Boosh
    The Teachers
    Only Fools and Horses
    The Young Ones
    Yes, Minister
    The Thick of It
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Northern Exposure

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Twin Peaks (first 2 seasons, not the recent one)
    The Wire
    The IT crowds
    Mighty Boosh
    The Teachers
    Only Fools and Horses
    The Young Ones
    Yes, Minister
    The Thick of It
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Northern Exposure
    Some good calls there Ports. Yes, Minister, its sequel, and The Thick of It are superb British political satires. Considering the former is over 38 years old, it's still very funny and still seems relevant.

Love Monty Python and The Young Ones!

Never got the appeal of The Wire though. In fact, I don't think I made it past the third season. It was good, just not great and possibly overrated, but I guess when it comes to cop dramas I have been spoiled by The Shield.

I'm right into ' Big Bang Theory' ....I can't get enough of it ATM ...which is good as it's always on E4, went on eBay last week and brought the blue ray 1-6 complete series for 4.10...lol

other faves

sneaky pete
    homeland
    prison break
    fools and horses ( it's the law!!)
    leathal weapon
    mentalist
    medium
    castle
    GMB......well I watch it every morning..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Some good calls there Ports. Yes, Minister, its sequel, and The Thick of It are superb British political satires. Considering the former is over 38 years old, it's still very funny and still seems relevant.

Love Monty Python and The Young Ones!

Never got the appeal of The Wire though. In fact, I don't think I made it past the third season. It was good, just not great and possibly overrated, but I guess when it comes to cop dramas I have been spoiled by The Shield.

Yes, it's scary how relevant the political satires are still today!!!

I had a similar experience with The Wire. It took me 2 years and multiple attempts to get through the first episode. I kept reading on the internet that it's the best tv series ever so I kept coming back to it but never finished the first episode. It was until I was stranded on an airport overnight with my laptop and no internet. I went through the first 4-5 episodes and since then I've watched the whole thing probably 3-4 times. I don't find it overrated. Personally, I found breaking bad slightly overrated. I've never seen The Shield. Will watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I'm right into ' Big Bang Theory' ....I can't get enough of it ATM ...which is good as it's always on E4, went on eBay last week and brought the blue ray 1-6 complete series for 4.10...lol

other faves

sneaky pete
    homeland
    prison break
    fools and horses ( it's the law!!)
    leathal weapon
    mentalist
    medium
    castle
    GMB......well I watch it every morning..lol
    Yes, the Big Bang Theory was good, especially at the beginning but at some point I felt, the true geek element has been lost in order to appeal to even wider audience and that's when I lost interest. It has become 'Friends' that just happen to be nerds. I must say, Penny is lovely.

This time next year, Boxxy, we'll be millionaires! LOL

Yeah....I'll would "smash penny's back doors in" too

ive only been watching what's been on E4 for the last few months....random show between series 8-12, so I'm in for a treat with the box set then...
    Last edited by Boxhilljunkie; 4 Weeks Ago at 7:36 AM.

Anymore of these off-piste threads and I may decline to respond but bottom line is I have no current favourites. I rarely sit watching the box and when I do it is usually only documentaries, news or sport. Many of the shows mentioned above, like Monty Python, are classics and were favourites back in the day but like music: they don't make 'em like they used to, and the repeats are a little tired now. However I admit to watching Our Girl: she's intelligent, fit and feisty - my kind of girl.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Anymore of these off-piste threads and I may decline to respond...
    Am confused. I thought that's how forums work in general. If a member does not find a particular thread interesting or worth contributing to, they do not respond.

Classics like Fools and Horses, Python, Fawlty Towers etc. I love the Morse/Lewis/Endeavor series as well. Game of Thrones I've got into and also currently watching Westworld. The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul all superb and bear repeat viewing.

Otherwise I'm an addict for the news, got to be BBC 1 though. One has to maintain standards...
    All the gear and no idea.