Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave TV shows

I just don't know how you lot have so much time to sit and watch the box. By the time I've finished work, done some exercise, had something to eat and done a few chores around the house, unless there's something I really want to watch which I'll do while I eat, its time for the 10 o'clock news then bed!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Work 35 hours a week, simples.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Work 35 hours a week, simples.
    So you only work part time then?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

What's everyone using for puncture repairs on the bounce? Anyone use sticky patches?

My attempt at off-topic on-topic chat, well it had to happen that one day the off-topic was actually on-topic =)

A few of my faves..

The Wire
    GOT
    Gomorrah (Italian Series, facking awesome)
    Utopia (Best UK series there ever was)
    Walking Dead (gone off it now tho)
    Breaking Bad
    Sherlock (BBC)
    Brian Pern (BBC Music mocumentary)
    The Office (Original)
    The Mimic

That I can think of now....
    I used to like The Walking Dead too. I was aware of the programme before I started to watch it, but because I'm not into the zombie genre, I avoided it as I didn't think I would like it. I eventually gave it a go and was instantly addicted to it. However, like you, I've gone off it now and haven't watched it since part way through the 6th season. The plotlines just got too similar in that the group would move from place to place, meet another group, were they goodies/badies, big power struggle or war, rinse and repeat.

Thought Utopia was very good too.

Anyone mention Peaky Blinders?

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Yes, it's scary how relevant the political satires are still today!!!

I had a similar experience with The Wire. It took me 2 years and multiple attempts to get through the first episode. I kept reading on the internet that it's the best tv series ever so I kept coming back to it but never finished the first episode. It was until I was stranded on an airport overnight with my laptop and no internet. I went through the first 4-5 episodes and since then I've watched the whole thing probably 3-4 times. I don't find it overrated. Personally, I found breaking bad slightly overrated. I've never seen The Shield. Will watch it.
    Can recall a scene in one of the early episodes of The Wire when McNulty and Bunk were investigating a murder scene and the only dialog was each them dropping the f bomb when they discovered something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to swearing and certainly not offended seeing it on TV, unless the script writers on Balamory go a little risque, but it just seemed rather pointless. Thought the drug dealers and the kids were the best characters in The Wire. I certainly don't think it's a bad show though, just not quite as good as others have tried convincing me.

Definitely try The Shield though. Be interesting to find out what you think of it. It was shot with a handheld, documentary style technique which at first I found annoying, but it does give a feeling of immersive viewing.

Peaky is awesome!

WD lost it a while back, wont be tuning back in sadly.

Utopia was so off the radar yet utterly AMAZING, have the first series on Bluray, the haters didn't even release s2 on Bluray so I settled for DVD. Best UK series there ever was IMO. The Yanks are remaking Utopia, Nick. So keep an eye out for that!

As for TW, its aged badly, everyone I know that watched it first says its better than BB and vice versa. I have colleagues that I drummed into them that they have to see it but I fear its too late now. I like Ports have seen it 3 or 4 times, such brilliant story writing and character development. When you re-watch it, you actually notice characters that moved into the fore later on in the background etc. The level of detail is pretty much unsurpassed. That said, I tell people 'Billions' can be compared to TW for the aforementioned qualities. No zombie attacks or explosions to hide behind, so the story/plot/character development has to be so on point, as does the dialogue or you'd have nothing to get your teeth into. If I watch it with the missus, I end up rewinding all the bits she speaks over, you really cant miss a word. This is one series where I wouldn't dream of having my phone anywhere near by for distraction.

BB was a weird one for me, found the opening episodes a bit baron and sterile. My house mate and I watched 6 or so eps, then gave up. Took us 2 years to get back to it. In the end we were glad that we did, it is great, but it was overrated a touch.

A lot of my mate's rated TS, I never got into it, jeepers I do have some other stuff to do you know!
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 4 Weeks Ago at 1:56 PM.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Part time all the way CB. If I had my own business, Id readily work harder for longer and reap the benefits.

Utopia was so off the radar yet utterly AMAZING, have the first series on Bluray, the haters didn't even release s2 on Bluray so I settled for DVD. Best UK series there ever was IMO. The Yanks are remaking Utopia, Nick. So keep an eye out for that!
    Not sure how I feel about that Marty. They don't have a great track record at remaking British TV shows. The US version of The Office was good, but it was only loosely based on the British version. Seemed more shtick than the dark, grim comedy of the original too. Can't think of anything else noteworthy, perhaps House of Cards.

Can't fault the Yanks for their big budget network dramas, they know how to produce outstanding TV shows, but UK remakes is not one of their strong points imo.

As for Breaking Bad, I thought it had a superb premise and still think Cranston as Walter White was just sensational at times. I think it lost its way a couple times, perhaps ran for one season too long as well. It ended well enough, but that could've been tied in a lot earlier, and some of the peripheral characters were disappointing, perhaps pointless.

I still highly rate it, but I think the spin-off show, Better Call Saul is overall better.