Good article about heart health, endurance exercise

This is worth a read... although the conclusions might not be what you hope for.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness...oo-hard-335700

As an aside, I've noticed my HR is higher, like for like, in this hot weather.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Tried reading that on a hangover, couldn't finish it!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Hangover on a school night Marty... tut tut!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I know I know, our FX Broker threw a bash on rooftop terrace in Trafalgar Square, open bar....

Things escalated haha
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Well it pretty well sums up my experience having been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (AF) last year. I have suffered from palpitations for years and in retrospect this may have been due to bouts of AF which self-resolved and I suspect that's what the guy in the article was describing. Unless you have 24 hour ECG monitor attached then you're going to miss this.

I fit the classical 'at risk' factors: very athletic, male, tall and thin and over 60. It was diagnosed on a routine ECG for another issue (an anaesthetic to remove the plate from my collar bone). As far as I was aware I was unaffected by it but then again in retrospect I was suffering from more palpitations than usual over several months and actually joked that I may have AF with a GP friend after having read a similar article in Cycling Weekly last summer. I had also noticed that I tired more quickly when pushing hard, took longer to warm up and was out of breath climbing when skiing when I would normally have no such problems so I may have been suffering for a year but had put this down to just getting older.

I underwent cardioversion - trying to defibrillate me, but it didn't work so I am now on an anti-coagulant and rate regulator (diltiazem) permanently. In some ways this is better because if you're dipping in and out of AF and not taking anticoagulants you're paradoxically more at risk. The diltiazem does not treat the AF but controls the ventricular premature beats (VPCs) which are the cause of the palpitations and I'm suffering far less of these. It does not affect my stamina, I cycle as far as I ever did, but because my heart cannot respond to demand like before a) because the rate is not stable due to the AF and b) the diltiazem prevents my rate going too high (albeit my max HR is still 165 and resting HR 55 which is OK for an oldun') I would have difficulty at the very top end like sprinting or really pushing hard on a climb.

So yes, years of extreme exercise may have triggered the AF but the overall benefits of keeping fit outweigh this. Due to exercise, a good diet and being thin the rest of my heart is very healthy and my cholesterol is vanishingly low. My cardiologist has told me I won't die of heart disease and to keep exercising but there is a small risk of stroke from blood clots forming in the atria hence the anti-coagulants albeit my overall risk of stroke is still very low, so swings and roundabouts.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

As with most threads here, been done before :http://forums.roadcyclinguk.com/show...-Over-training

However, what is surprising is that in the latest article the author Bradford is only 35. Seems very young to be affected.
    Last edited by Muffin; 27th June 2018 at 7:49 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I know I know, our FX Broker threw a bash on rooftop terrace in Trafalgar Square, open bar....

Things escalated haha
    not too far from me and Ports ....and you didn't invite us both...and to think you WAS our pal

Ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    As with most threads here, been done before :http://forums.roadcyclinguk.com/show...-Over-training

However, what is surprising is that in the latest article the author Bradford is only 35. Seems very young to be affected.
    Whilst the author gave a little background information on himself, he didn't mention if there was any family history of cardiac, or electrical issues. His issues may well have been triggered by excessive exercise, but as he hasn't got a diagnosis, it's probably difficult to say for sure as they may have just happened anyway due to mutations in his genetic makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post

I recalled there had been a thread, but couldn't find it... shame we don't have a mod so they can be merged!