Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasted rides

Fasted rides

Anyone do these?

Any pros/cons?

I thought I'd try one this morning, but I did the ride at my usual intensity, so I just ended up more hungry. From what I gather, I should try to aim for 60-90 minutes at about L2 intensity. Missed opportunity today, but I did accomplish getting out earlier than I usually do.

If I do jump on the Velothon, it'll probably be between 7-8am, so will need to get some early rides under the belt and hopefully a 100 km effort in the next week.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Have to say that I don't do breakfast at all. So all my rides are done on a single cup of coffee before hand.

Have energy drink with me and a gel.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I can't do it..tried it it doesn't work for me..I have to eat, if I'm meeting up for a group ride say 07:30 then I'll be up before 6am to eat beforehand and let it settle

The only time I'm doing it is when I commute to work where I know, due to the nature of the ride, it's not going be very taxing. Then I have a good breakfast straight away.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Have to say that I don't do breakfast at all. So all my rides are done on a single cup of coffee before hand.

Have energy drink with me and a gel.
    Probs why youre so slow then, Vladders haha
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Furthest I did was a 50miler. Great for losing weight, but intensity does need to be kept low I believe or otherwise you break down muscle.

Pre-work rides, up to 30 miles all good. Every commute to work I ever do is technically fasted, but then its only 7.5m.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Anyone do these?

Any pros/cons?

I thought I'd try one this morning, but I did the ride at my usual intensity, so I just ended up more hungry. From what I gather, I should try to aim for 60-90 minutes at about L2 intensity. Missed opportunity today, but I did accomplish getting out earlier than I usually do.

If I do jump on the Velothon, it'll probably be between 7-8am, so will need to get some early rides under the belt and hopefully a 100 km effort in the next week.
    I don't do completely fasted rides but after my normal very light breakfast - a small bowl of granola and some fruit I will go for a 2-4 hr ride and not eat but I have extended this to 5-6 hrs on occasions. I drink energy drink at the rate I need to keep hydrated and which is just enough to stop me going hypoglycaemic but even when I feel hungry I don't eat. The idea is to start relatively fast depending on what training levels you use but what would be above aerobic but just below anaerobic threshold then settle down into a steady rhythm just above aerobic threshold with another short burst at the end. This apparently induces the body to burn fat reserves more efficiently. The trick is to stay at the edge of hypoglycaemia/the knock/the bonk/meeting the man with the hammer but not quite fall over. I do carry an energy bar or gel in reserve and/or some money to stop and buy something if I have to. I don't do this for any specific training exercise but because I can't be arsed carrying or eating food when I'm riding.

Interesting article in 'The comic' this week though about how Sky fuelled Froome's race winning move in the Giro and using energy sources providing 90 or more gms carbohydrate/hr i.e. above the accepted maximum for the body to absorb.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I used to exercise by default fasted as I went to the gym or turbo'd first thing.

I could do 1 hr turbo sessions at high intensity fasted without an issue, similarly road rides. Wouldn't want to go out longer than that though... as Marty says, it can be problematic... catabolic I believe is the physiological term.

If you do Velothon, I would strongly recommend a proper carby breakfast... I had a porridge pot and toast kindly provided by the Vale Hotel at 5am! Did the ride munching two or three cereal bars and a few gels, plus two bottles of Torq, didn't need to stop, but it was a cool damp April day.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

ps here is a chap selling his entry for £30- bargain!
    http://road.cc/content/forum/244318-...-8th-2018-ps30

Then you can wear your medal with pride...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Have to say that after each midday ride I do with no breckie, then the first thing I do on my return is munch on a protein/energy bar whilst mixing my protein milk drink and then check my strava segments whilst cooling down before a shower.

After the shower its a bowl of special K red berries with ice cold milk followed by marmalade on toast. That gets me through the day till evening meal at 7 ish.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!