Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Fasted rides

  1. #11
    Senior Member coolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iver, Bucks
    Posts
    10,334
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I used to exercise by default fasted as I went to the gym or turbo'd first thing.

    I could do 1 hr turbo sessions at high intensity fasted without an issue, similarly road rides. Wouldn't want to go out longer than that though... as Marty says, it can be problematic... catabolic I believe is the physiological term.

    If you do Velothon, I would strongly recommend a proper carby breakfast... I had a porridge pot and toast kindly provided by the Vale Hotel at 5am! Did the ride munching two or three cereal bars and a few gels, plus two bottles of Torq, didn't need to stop, but it was a cool damp April day.
    As you suggest, efforts of < 90 minutes you can do fasted with no preparation as your muscle/liver glycogen store will last at least that long. The research suggests that carbo-loading the morning of the event is not overly helpful and may even be counter-productive if your glycogen store is already replenished (it is the preceding day(s) that are important) certainly you would not consume as much per kg bodyweight as necessary when doing extreme exercise for hours as a time. Most important is if you are racing/training hard on successive days that you start to replenish your carbohydrate stores within an hour of stopping when your metabolism is at its most active in its ability to do this otherwise you may start the next day with a sub-optimal glycogen store.

    Catabolism is the breakdown of muscle protein not depletion of carbohydrate stores so that is an entirely different subject. It is true however that in a starvation situation where you have depleted carbohydrate and fat stores your body will start to catabolise muscle as a survival strategy*. However every effort damages your muscle fibres and protein is needed to replenish these hence the introduction of high quality, easily assimilated, protein such as whey in recovery drinks and bars.

    *Interestingly cats obtain their energy from protein not fat which is why cats foods are much higher in protein than dog food - dogs metabolism is like our's and they can can starve happily for days/weeks with no harm. If cats are starved/anorexic due to illness for more than a couple of days they will start to catabolise muscle quickly and especially if they are overweight, are forced to use fat as an energy store and can suffer from hepatic lipidosis which can be fatal.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I used to exercise by default fasted as I went to the gym or turbo'd first thing.

    I could do 1 hr turbo sessions at high intensity fasted without an issue, similarly road rides. Wouldn't want to go out longer than that though... as Marty says, it can be problematic... catabolic I believe is the physiological term.

    If you do Velothon, I would strongly recommend a proper carby breakfast... I had a porridge pot and toast kindly provided by the Vale Hotel at 5am! Did the ride munching two or three cereal bars and a few gels, plus two bottles of Torq, didn't need to stop, but it was a cool damp April day.
    I wouldn't attempt to ride the Velothon fasted!

    I was looking at different training ideas and it seems that a fasted ride is a good way to shift a few lbs at the same time as doing a recovery ride. A 2 for 1 bargain.

    Popped out again this morning and only had a banana and a coffee before leaving the house. Gave it my usual intensity before stopping at a bike cafe for a couple more coffees and a bacon panini. Tbh, it felt ok, but I can see why keeping the intensity levels at a low heart rate zone make more sense.
    Last edited by Nick1020; 29th June 2018 at 1:12 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Posts
    7,789
    Now you all know how I just lost over a stone in a few months.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

    God - why am I so great !!!


  4. #14
    Senior Member Boxhilljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London baby
    Posts
    2,388
    And I thought it was because your not eating doughnuts anymore from not being a policeyman

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    836
    Having Just received my Rapha race pro jersey, think I should cut out the double whipped cream Starbucks extra large latte! On my fastesd rides.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Now you all know how I just lost over a stone in a few months.
    Eating cat food?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    As you suggest, efforts of < 90 minutes you can do fasted with no preparation as your muscle/liver glycogen store will last at least that long. The research suggests that carbo-loading the morning of the event is not overly helpful and may even be counter-productive if your glycogen store is already replenished (it is the preceding day(s) that are important) certainly you would not consume as much per kg bodyweight as necessary when doing extreme exercise for hours as a time. Most important is if you are racing/training hard on successive days that you start to replenish your carbohydrate stores within an hour of stopping when your metabolism is at its most active in its ability to do this otherwise you may start the next day with a sub-optimal glycogen store.

    Catabolism is the breakdown of muscle protein not depletion of carbohydrate stores so that is an entirely different subject. It is true however that in a starvation situation where you have depleted carbohydrate and fat stores your body will start to catabolise muscle as a survival strategy*. However every effort damages your muscle fibres and protein is needed to replenish these hence the introduction of high quality, easily assimilated, protein such as whey in recovery drinks and bars.

    *Interestingly cats obtain their energy from protein not fat which is why cats foods are much higher in protein than dog food - dogs metabolism is like our's and they can can starve happily for days/weeks with no harm. If cats are starved/anorexic due to illness for more than a couple of days they will start to catabolise muscle quickly and especially if they are overweight, are forced to use fat as an energy store and can suffer from hepatic lipidosis which can be fatal.
    Interesting about cats... I've always imagined that in the wild, meals would be sporadic, so they'd have to be good at surviving on not alot.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

  8. #18
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Bridge over the River Cam
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by prsboy View Post
    eating cat food?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

  9. #19
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Posts
    7,789
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Eating cat food?
    You know I never thought of that. Wheres the cat bowl????
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

    God - why am I so great !!!


  10. #20
    Senior Member coolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iver, Bucks
    Posts
    10,334
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Interesting about cats... I've always imagined that in the wild, meals would be sporadic, so they'd have to be good at surviving on not alot.
    Same as with wolves and domestic dogs, there is probably a big difference in the metabolism of the large cats which may only make a kill once a week or whatever and small cats like the African Wild Cat from which the domestic moggie has been selected (I use that word advisedly rather than 'evolved' because is not a natural selection) which would eat multiple small prey on a daily basis. Also obesity is not a problem in wild cats so there is not the same risk of hepatic lipidosis as in 'well fed' moggies.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •