Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time

Cycling close passes.

Just read this atricle from Cycling weekly about Police being encourged to tackle close passing of cycling.

The Goverment are now lookiing at teaching driving instructors to teach it on testing new drivers.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/la...s-close-384560

I don't see that as a problem, its the idiots after their tests driving out with their mates that then cause most of the problems..... as they want a laugh and we are the easy target as to mount the pavement and hit a pedestrian would be too much, but a cyclists on the road..... east meat as it just means a slight twitch of the steering wheel and . bang, their on the floor and you get street kudos from your mates for it.

I had a nice ride yesterday at midday and had no issues till on the return when I went along a main dual carriageway for 12 miles.

I was wearing my red and white outfit (swiss flag basically) and had high intensity rear flashing light. I was riding on the nearside lane and about 2 foot from the dotted line. 90% of cars, vans and lorries gave me loads of room, even crossing into the second lane... which was great.

Only had 2 close calls...

1. Small HGV dumper lorry, came close and the draft swerved me back and forth in the lane - he got yelled at.... but he did not hear me.

2. Audi TT sports driver. Cut me really close and did not even seem to move over at all. I waved and gave him the 2 finger salute and shouted out that he was a "Fooking Wanker".

he then brakes about 200 yards up the road and slows down to a stop. I'm still cycling towards him and can see him looking back at me - so I wave beside me and gesture that he close passed me and shouted at him "What the fook was that".

He then realised that I was still coming towards him and decided the give me the finger and then drove of before I could get any closer to him.

It was a bit of a shame really, as I would have loved to have had a chat with him on the side of a main busy dual carriageway.

However I have to say that even after that when the dual carriageway comes to single lane, the amount of lorries and cars that still stayed behind me, till they had a decent chance to overtake was great, no close passes at all.

I think the message is getting through to them and us having cameras on the bikes helps a lot as we then post it in the press.

I do not think however that we can eliminate the Tool youth drivers in towns, as they just don't respect anyone and basically are boy racers we all hate when on bikes or in our cars.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post

I was wearing my red and white outfit
    The one you posted here? http://forums.roadcyclinguk.com/show...-cycling/page5

Getting ready to turn right today at some lights which had just turned green, I had a biker overtake me and the row of cars I was in at some speed. Bloody stupid riding as its a poorly sighted, very busy village junction, not to mention that I felt the air as he flashed past me as I was in the right of the lane.

Dumper lorries tend to be driven by psychopaths, in my experience.

In contrast, I was passed exceptionally safely by a learner driver who waited patiently behind on a twisty country road and gave loads of room.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    I don't see that as a problem, its the idiots after their tests driving out with their mates that then cause most of the problems..... as they want a laugh and we are the easy target as to mount the pavement and hit a pedestrian would be too much, but a cyclists on the road..... east meat as it just means a slight twitch of the steering wheel and …. bang, their on the floor and you get street kudos from your mates for it.
    Maybe the standard of driving in the West Midlands is poorer and the yobs more yobbish but I can't say that this a problem down here.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Dumper lorries tend to be driven by psychopaths, in my experience.
    More specifically skip lorry drivers who seem to be largely unregulated.

In contrast, I was passed exceptionally safely by a learner driver who waited patiently behind on a twisty country road and gave loads of room.
    I don't necessarily feel this is a virtue, I know learners specifically may not have the experience to judge speed and distance but drivers who hang around behind me and won't overtake when they can, number more and piss me off more than the close passers. Its just learning bad habits. We've been through this many times: one man's close pass is another's well executed overtake. Unless they actually hit me or cause me to crash I don't care and at risk of my number being up tonight - that has not happened to me in over 50 years of serious cycling.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

I don't necessarily feel this is a virtue, I know learners specifically may not have the experience to judge speed and distance but drivers who hang around behind me and won't overtake when they can, number more and piss me off more than the close passers. Its just learning bad habits. We've been through this many times: one man's close pass is another's well executed overtake. Unless they actually hit me or cause me to crash I don't care and at risk of my number being up tonight - that has not happened to me in over 50 years of serious cycling.
    Agreed... though on this occasion the road is a twisty country B road and not very clear sighted.

I had one van fella clip my shoulder with his mirror, which was probably a bit close!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I had one van fella clip my shoulder with his mirror, which was probably a bit close!
    I'll concur with that one.

I actually find drivers coming towards me on narrow lanes are less likely to give way and cause a near miss, they somehow think we're lesser beings and should wait for them. There was an occasion last week going down a narrow street with cars parked on the same side as the oncoming traffic and some dick in an Audi who clearly didn't know the width of his vehicle and was so far on my side I had to nearly go into the kerb to avoid him yet he shouted 'move over' at me. Then there are couple of width restrictions nearby which reduce the road to one lane and the arseholes in Audis, Mercs, BMs and 4x4s force their way through when its my right of way and nearly take me out yet if I did the same when it was their's they'd be getting pissed off. It beggars belief these people think they're in the right.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.