Cyclocross bike for the boy

Hi All. I am tearing my hair out trying to find a cyclocross bike for young Master Hoose who continues to grow at an alarming rate. We have just sold his Islabike Luath 700S which had a 45cm seat tube and we're on the lookout for something next size up, something like a 50cm.

Master Hoose is now 5ft 4in but has long legs for his height, 77cm (30in) to be precise. We really like the look of the Planet X XLA, however they've said the 49cm would be, and I quote, 'way too big'. I'm dubious and have asked them for the standover height, which of course they can't provide! On paper it looks perfect, with the 53.5cm top tube being, if anything, a little on the short side. Cross bikes tend to have greater clearance between the ground and the BB, which is why I'm concerned about the standover height, the XLA does also have a horizontal rather than sloping top tube. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for working out standover height given a bike's geometry?

To give an idea of how big he's getting now, here he is riding his 44cm Dolan road bike (which will also need replacing next year!)

Ben Cycling 811 (2) (640x426).jpg

Can't Planet X even be bothered to get a tape measure out, for a prospective sale? For that reason alone I would find another company!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Can't Planet X even be bothered to get a tape measure out, for a prospective sale? For that reason alone I would find another company!
    They don't have them in stock at the moment. The frames are due in next week so thinking about a trip up there. I get that they're box shifters but you can't fault them on value for money (especially when you have to keep a cross, road and track bike on the go!)
    Last edited by graywoodhouse; 29th June 2018 at 4:01 PM.

Ah, fair enough.

It seems an expensive business raising the next Bradley Wiggins!

FWIW, I'm 5.9 and fit on M frames generally. Would an XS or S bike from an adult range not suit? The Canyon website has a great sizing tool which might give you a steer.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Ah, fair enough.

It seems an expensive business raising the next Bradley Wiggins!

FWIW, I'm 5.9 and fit on M frames generally. Would an XS or S bike from an adult range not suit? The Canyon website has a great sizing tool which might give you a steer.
    Yes, he's on adult bikes now, his road bike is an XS (44cm) which is now too small. The Planet X XLA is a Small (49cm) which will be borderline. It's a great spec so probably worth a trip.

It is an expensive business but we've been lucky so far in that he's been given a few hand-me-down bikes from family and he has generous Grand Parents! We tend to sell his old bikes on to fellow club members so the cost to change isn't too bad. I'd also rather spend money on bikes than games consoles!

TBF the left overs at Planet-X are nowhere near as knowledgable as the one's who left/got finished.They're just not clued up at all.It doesn't help that the phone lines don't currently work either.Luckily I'm 5 mins away but I was in a similar predicament with the lads new ride so went down there.Unfortunately the bike I wanted in XS isn't in the shop but in the warehouse( a few buildings down) and they wouldn't let me in there!The geometry looks about right but if wrong they've agreed to swap the frame.
    I'm on 12hr days Sat/Sun or I could pop down and measure the frame for you.
    All measurements are here though:-
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXXLA/planet-x-xla-alloy-cyclocross-frame

Last edited by ibbo68; 29th June 2018 at 7:30 PM.

If it's any help at all my mates lad is on a S Pro-Carbon(he's 10) and my mate rides the same size at 5'4" but the TT slopes quite a bit on that.
    Also IME their sizing is bang on.My RT-58 was perfect at a size 52cm and I'm 5'6"
    Last edited by ibbo68; 30th June 2018 at 8:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    TBF the left overs at Planet-X are nowhere near as knowledgable as the one's who left/got finished.They're just not clued up at all.It doesn't help that the phone lines don't currently work either.Luckily I'm 5 mins away but I was in a similar predicament with the lads new ride so went down there.Unfortunately the bike I wanted in XS isn't in the shop but in the warehouse( a few buildings down) and they wouldn't let me in there!The geometry looks about right but if wrong they've agreed to swap the frame.
    I'm on 12hr days Sat/Sun or I could pop down and measure the frame for you.
    All measurements are here though:-
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXXLA/planet-x-xla-alloy-cyclocross-frame

Thanks for the offer but we're sorted now. Decided to go with a Cannondale CAADX, ex-demo from Evans with 300 off RRP. Lots of questions and reviews on the website that indicate that the 51cm should be spot-on.

Shame about the Planet X as they are smart looking bikes, just a slightly weird geometry and I wasn't comfortable buying without trying. They actually recommended their 'Full Monty' which the lad really liked the look of but they literally sold out overnight on Friday!

Nice one,at least you're sorted.
    I pick the lads bike up from Planet-X Thursday.I'll know straight away if it's too big.
    Planet-X do make some nice looking bikes but the Shop doesn't carry half the stock they claim to have online!

Update. the CAADX ex-demo turned out not to exist! We've gone with the Planet X Full Monty but I've bought all the parts to build it up myself and keep the costs down by re-using bars, stem, chain, tyres and pedals I have knocking about.

It's all still in bits in the garage and I'm still waiting for Ribble to sort out the cock-up with the wheels.

We've bought a 50cm frame, it's nicely finished and feels light. It looks to be the 'right' size rather than being a shade too big. Planet X say the 50cm fits 5ft 6in to 5ft 9in, which seems miles out, we could probably have got a 52cm. Will be able to judge better once it's built up.

Need to get a move on as #crossiscoming