Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My son went off Cyclo-cross after he broke his arm in France(on the road incidently) three years ago.Left him to it to see if he changed his mind.Last weekend it was the last GoRide track session so they had a bit of a fun race.Part track,part grass/CX.He was on his MTB and couldn't keep up.He enjoyed it but said "I want a CX bike to do some more races".
    So today we picked up a very nice 2nd hand Dolan Multi-X(48cm).Had to drive to a small village in rural Lincolnshire,near Louth,but that was all part of the fun
    I had no doubt he'd want to do it again but it's taken longer than I expected

CX isn't my lad's favourite discipline (being 'stocky' he's more suited to sprinting on the road and track) but he's competed in all but one round of the West Mids cross league and done pretty well in his first U14 season. The races can be a bit of a slog but he enjoys the social side of things with all his club buddies (and the usual hot chocolate, sausage butties and cake!).

The Planet X hasn't missed a beat. I went with a 2x10 Tiagra setup which has been rock solid. I get fed up of cleaning the bike twice a week but at least have kept it well lubed. I've seen a few lads have trouble with the SRAM 1x11 setups, problems shifting and snapped chains.

Still a bit miffed by the sizing, I'm sure an XLA would have been fine for him and he probably could have gone up a size on the Full Monty that we got. Will need a flipped and longer stem next year (if not a new bike). Cross season is finished in the Midlands so will be popping some 25mm road tyres on the Fulcrum rims for some winter miles on the road.

44997141_10218533244389380_9203325496044027904_n.jpg 44119851_10218422524581454_6549334413501530112_n.jpg

That's awesome!

Good to hear positive feedback about Planet X too. May be using them for some of my upcoming build. Have only bought clothing and accessories from them so far, and haven't had any problems. Most people I know who have Tiagra are more than happy with it too. If I wasn't such a Di2 snob, I could save myself a fair whack going back to mechanical.

Props to you and your lad...and to Ibbo and his lad too. It's always good to see youngsters not only enjoying it, but at the same time taking it a bit seriously too.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    CX isn't my lad's favourite discipline (being 'stocky' he's more suited to sprinting on the road and track) but he's competed in all but one round of the West Mids cross league and done pretty well in his first U14 season. The races can be a bit of a slog but he enjoys the social side of things with all his club buddies (and the usual hot chocolate, sausage butties and cake!).

The Planet X hasn't missed a beat. I went with a 2x10 Tiagra setup which has been rock solid. I get fed up of cleaning the bike twice a week but at least have kept it well lubed. I've seen a few lads have trouble with the SRAM 1x11 setups, problems shifting and snapped chains.

Still a bit miffed by the sizing, I'm sure an XLA would have been fine for him and he probably could have gone up a size on the Full Monty that we got. Will need a flipped and longer stem next year (if not a new bike). Cross season is finished in the Midlands so will be popping some 25mm road tyres on the Fulcrum rims for some winter miles on the road.

44997141_10218533244389380_9203325496044027904_n.jpg 44119851_10218422524581454_6549334413501530112_n.jpg
    Good to see a smile on his face!!The bike does look well

My lad is actually suited to Cross as he's built like Chris Froome.He only weighs about 35kg!!(he's 11).There's only 2 more races in the Yorkshire Points CC Winter series but I'm hoping this spurs him on to want to do the Spring/Summer Cross which starts in Mar/Apr.It will mean much more travelling for us but all in a good cause.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Gray - Nice to see the club colours on the pages of RCUK again. - Go Solihull.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!