Talk to me about disc brake wheelsets

I'm on the lookout for a spare set of cyclocross wheels for the lad's bike but I have zero experience of disc brakes, or indeed the wheels they work with.

The bike is a CAADX and I believe comes with QR rather than thru-axle wheels. What is thru-axle and how does it differ? Are they interchangeable at all?

I get that the 6-bolts are how the rotors connect to the wheels, what does this centre-lock thing mean?

I'm thinking wither Fulcrum Racing Sport or Mavic Aksium wheels, will these be compatible with the CAADX frame / system.

Please educate me!

As far as I know thru axels are stronger which is why they are used on MTB/ fat bikes, I suppose cyclox bike take a fair bit of of stick so I can see why they use them too....not sure if they are as interchangeable as QR....I'm pretty sure you'll have to stick with the same make.
    on my old Whyte 46 MTB the front wheel had a maverick hub and a massive thru axel that not only had to be used with Maverick hub but also the maverick forks...maybe times have changed now.
    love the idea of disc wheels...in theory the wheels should last forever!!

Centre lock is a Shimano fixing system instead of the 6-bolt system.So long as you get the correct rotor for whichever fixing system the hub has you'll be fine.Much more choice with 6-bolt fixing(or you have in the MTB world)I've always used 6-bolt on MTBs.You also need to get the same size rotor as the bike has or you need to start messing with caliper mount spacers.
    Thru-axles are stiffer but most are still QR(MTB at least).If your frame is set up for standard QR then a Thru-axle probably won't fit.
    All the above is my experience with MTBs.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 2nd July 2018 at 9:12 AM.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I didn't think you can have disc brakes without through-axle?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I didn't think you can have disc brakes without through-axle?
    Thru-axles came a long time after Disc brakes on MTBs and you still get standard QR on cheaper MTBs with Discs.My sons 2017 Voodoo has discs and QRs.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Gray,

Normal QR have a cut out on the bottom of the fork where the spindle of the QR drops out of the fork.

The Thru-axlew has a solid fork with a hole drilled through the middle and no cut out. Hence the spindle has to be pulled out of the fork completely and the wheel then drops out.

Does that help.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Fair play, Ibbo.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Fair play, Ibbo.
    I'm harping on here about MTB stuff and it's just dawned on me......my Boardman CX has Discs(mechanical,pretty cr@p).........and standard QRs