Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time

National portal makes it easier to submit action camera footage to police

Ah - this will make things a lot easier for everyone.

The Police have always had issues with cctv footage and wanting it on a DVD in a playable format and statements from people are a joke and not evidential unless you are trained in statement taking.

this will no doubt make the whole process much easier.

Just need to find a working police officer now at each Force to sort out the footage and statements and deal with the other paperwork, to get it through to a court if the case merits it and the footage shows a Reg no and has good footage of the driver to Identify him/her.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/na...-police-384731

This is the Portal that you need.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/national-...safety-portal/
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Good idea... though I fear for the man-hours required.

Just a thought, for us out driving... if I was filmed overtaking someone safely but at a speed that minimized time spent on the wrong side of the road, and that person was a bit of an anti speeding zealot, could I be prosecuted if that was passed to the police?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post

Just a thought, for us out driving... if I was filmed overtaking someone safely but at a speed that minimized time spent on the wrong side of the road, and that person was a bit of an anti speeding zealot, could I be prosecuted if that was passed to the police?
    I would have thought speeding is speeding?
    If you're overtaking within the speed limit of the road you're OK if you exceed the speed limit then you're not?

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post

Just wondering how you know all this. However, I can't see it would unless he had an officially calibrated tachometer like they have in police cars.

I had a road rage incident with some dick who was driving at 30 in a 40 limit and as I overtook him clearly decided he didn't like this and sped up forcing me to go faster and probably break the speed limit so I could get back in safely. He then got out and had a fit of road rage when we were both forced to stop at a level crossing. Clearly thought he was in the right and called me a f***ing w*ank*r. I asked him not to swear in front of my 10 year old daughter who promptly jumped out and shouted, 'no you're the f***ing w*ank*r'. That's my girl! I did give her a light lecture, not on swearing but because we had the moral high ground until that point.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yarp - to be caught speeding - like only 10mph over the limit - then it needs to be a calibrated device like the police tacho's and or a speed laser or digital camera.

a dash cam footage could not prosecute you - even if the distance time travel equation was put to it - unless you ran over a whole line of children crossing the road outside a primary school.

Obviously - if you were travelling at "warp speed Mr Chekov", in a 30 - 40 mph limit and it constituted dangerous driving, then you be prosecuted for that and or careless on the evidence of the tape footage.

We (wife and I) are currently doing that to a dickhead that drives past our house every day to and from work in a white Porsche at over 80 mph around bends and small hills on our lane that is frequently used by horse people and bike riders and walkers due to the footpaths.

One day he will meet the big tractors they drive at 60 mph along the road - that would be worth seeing
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Just wondering how you know all this. However, I can't see it would unless he had an officially calibrated tachometer like they have in police cars.
    Just wondering as it was raised on another forum. I drive like a monk, so it wouldn't affect me

But yes, my thinking was that unless you did something demonstrably dangerous, lack of proper calibration would surely prevent a prosecution, not to mention not being able to visually identify the driver.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Hmmmmm which forum might that be I wonder.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

According to a Police officer on one of those "Police Interceptors" type programs if a Police Officer thinks you are speeding,even without any device,he can pull you and give you a ticket.
    So if someone sent a Video of a driver they thought was speeding couldn't a cop also make a decision based on what he or she thinks?

Whether the Officer on the programme was right or wrong I personally don't agree with that scenario

I can see how that might work in extremis, ie going through a 30 at 60+ as that would constitute dangerous driving.

Frankly people who drive through 30s at anything meaningfully above 30 should be pummeled mercilessly and their twitching bodies left at the roadside to be pecked by crows.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    According to a Police officer on one of those "Police Interceptors" type programs if a Police Officer thinks you are speeding,even without any device,he can pull you and give you a ticket.
    So if someone sent a Video of a driver they thought was speeding couldn't a cop also make a decision based on what he or she thinks?

Whether the Officer on the programme was right or wrong I personally don't agree with that scenario
    If you contest what the officer says, refuse the ticket. They would surely have to charge you. How would they prove the speed in court, let alone convince the CPS to allow it to go to court when a prosecution would be hard to prove?