Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    You sure..... .OK - cheers mate, love you too.
    Not wanting to come across as gay.....I just thought now you have love.....you'll love to leave me your bike, etap and all....when the time comes....shall I pm you my details for future use..!...

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Shocked this thread wasn't from Vlad, then further shocked it took him until post #9 to share his input. I on the other hand could give less of a **** so will be moving on.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I on the other hand could give less of a **** so will be moving on.
    My sentiments exactly, I can't abide the silly woman.
    All the gear and no idea.

The fact that weíre openly talking about this on a Public Forum shows how far attitudes towards Depression/Anxiety/Mental health have come.I think weíre slowly getting there.
    I was diagnosed with stress/depression last year after an accident at work and a subsequent enquiry(ie finger pointing/blame)brought things to a head.It turns out after a couple of sessions with a councillor they traced the start of it back to my sons cycling accident in France two years before.That along with some accusations regarding his obvious reluctance to get back in the saddle when his arm had healed then the accident at work and I just sort of flipped.
    Iíve just started the process of weaning myself of the medication as things have sorted themselves out now.
    Iíve always been of the opinion that people just need a kick up the arse or just MTFU but I now realise how wrong I was.
    I have a good friend whoís been up and down for about 12 years since his divorce who point blank refuses to take his Doctors advice despite it being obvious he canít get through it without help.He can go from a massive high to a really dark low at the drop of a hat.Iíve witnessed it many times when on cycling holidays with him and always thought he was just a bit odd.Now I think he may be what they used to call manic depressive?
    Sportspersons/Actors etc making their conditions public also Highlights that itís OK to talk about it.

Sportspersons/Actors etc making their conditions public also Highlights that it’s OK to talk about it.
    Hmmm not so sure. I get the distinct impression with a lot of the so-called celebrities, sportspersons etc it's all a bloody publicity stunt to keep them in public eye. Or maybe I'm just way too cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    The fact that we’re openly talking about this on a Public Forum shows how far attitudes towards Depression/Anxiety/Mental health have come.I think we’re slowly getting there.
    Absolutely.
    I have a good friend who’s been up and down for about 12 years since his divorce who point blank refuses to take his Doctors advice despite it being obvious he can’t get through it without help.He can go from a massive high to a really daI’ve witnessed it many times when on cycling holidays with him and always thought he was just a bit odd.Now I think he may be what they used to call manic depressive?
    In more modern parlance its bi-polar syndrome. My younger daughter has recently been diagnosed with this and is finally getting the correct treatment after years of doctors dismissing it as anxiety/depression as if this was something you can mentally control. The condition is caused by an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain and is as much an illness as diabetes or heart disease. The difficulty with treatment is getting a balance between the highs and the lows.
    Sportspersons/Actors etc making their conditions public also Highlights that it’s OK to talk about it.
    Absolutely and the comments from Marty and Muffin are not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I on the other hand could give less of a **** so will be moving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    My sentiments exactly, I can't abide the silly woman.
    Hmmm not so sure. I get the distinct impression with a lot of the so-called celebrities, sportspersons etc it's all a bloody publicity stunt to keep them in public eye. Or maybe I'm just way too cynical.
    You are being cynical, there is a link between the reason why celebrities are what they are and why you and I largely want to keep out of the public eye - albeit there is a small craving for recognition by the very fact we are regular contributors on this forum. A huge number of celebrities suffer from bipolar syndrome and the associated depression and anxiety attacks balanced by the highs of performing and the mask they wear to hide their insecurities. Said daughter is a musician and she lives for the attention she gets on stage. From a very early age she told me she wanted to be a vet, not because she particularly wanted to work with animals but because I was recognised and in her eyes famous in our small community. It was that fame and the buzz that came with it she craved. As for me, one reason I dread retirement is the loss of that respect, esteem and admiration.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

As for me, one reason I dread retirement is the loss of that respect, esteem and admiration
    Really? That is quite sad to be honest.
    If you are happy "in your own skin" as it were then what other people say for good or bad shouldn't matter. I dread NOT being able to retire!
    Last edited by Muffin; 2 Weeks Ago at 5:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    As for me, one reason I dread retirement is the loss of that respect, esteem and admiration.
    Firstly, this is not a personal comment to you CB, it's a general observation! And that is that an awful lot of people seem to be driven by their insecurities. I don't understand the constant need for other people's admiration etc - yes sure it's great when someone appreciates you in whatever way - but this constant striving for approval and admiration from others is (to me) weird. I know so many people who can't wait to strike up a conversation (I use the term loosely) with someone on a plane, train, wherever, just so they can talk about themselves - and knowing them, I can see the poetic license with their descriptions of their jobs, lifestyles etc just so they look good? Why? What does it matter what a stranger thinks of you for heaven sake. And many of these very insecure people are capable people with no need to be insecure and yet they still seem to feel to need for validation from others. Maybe if they strived to be happy in themselves, they wouldn't feel the need for it? Is it a sign of society today? Are people vastly more insecure than 50 years ago?

Really? That is quite sad to be honest.
    If you are happy "in your own skin" as it were then what other people say for good or bad shouldn't matter. I dread NOT being able to retire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    And that is that an awful lot of people seem to be driven by their insecurities. I don't understand the constant need for other people's admiration etc - yes sure it's great when someone appreciates you in whatever way - but this constant striving for approval and admiration from others is (to me) weird.
    And there is the whole point both of you. You don't understand because you've never been there or had to empathise with those who have or if you have, have gone into denial.

What does it matter what a stranger thinks of you for heaven sake.
    It doesn't matter but human nature isn't like that.

And many of these very insecure people are capable people with no need to be insecure and yet they still seem to feel to need for validation from others. Maybe if they strived to be happy in themselves, they wouldn't feel the need for it?
    Don't you think 'these people' of whom you are so dismissive strive to be happy - do you really think they want to be unhappy? You really are showing a complete lack of understanding - I thought you'd be better than that.

Is it a sign of society today? Are people vastly more insecure than 50 years ago?
    No, not any more than there are more homosexuals, it is just OK to be open about it today, as there is generally a greater understanding, its a pity there are still some who still live in the dark ages in their attitudes to towards it.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

And there is the whole point both of you. You don't understand because you've never been there or had to empathise with those who have or if you have, have gone into denial.
    You misunderstand me - I have lived with someone who suffered from severe depression/anxiety so do understand depression etc. I don't understand the need for constant validation from other human beings. While the two can be connected, that is not always or necessarily the case. Depression due to e.g. Boxies awful circumstances is nothing to do with Boxie needing constant reassurance from other people that he's a wonderful person.

Don't you think 'these people' of whom you are so dismissive strive to be happy - do you really think they want to be unhappy? You really are showing a complete lack of understanding - I thought you'd be better than that.
    No I'm not showing a complete lack of understanding - my point is related to the subject being discussed here but not the same as the original discussion. I am not dismissive of people suffering from depression and mental illness. However I think some people's sense of perspective gets distorted by the constant need for validation instead of looking for a bit of inner person and being content with themselves. For example - you are clearly a well qualified, competent vet and you know it - so why the need for the external validation of that from other people?

its a pity there are still some who still live in the dark ages in their attitudes to towards it.
    If that was directed at me then raspberries as that's not my attitude at all

(and by the way I also happen to think it's good that people feel able to openly discuss genuine mental issues on a forum these days)
    Last edited by Carla; 2 Weeks Ago at 6:57 PM.