Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post

I used to read a lot of clever books and think big. Now I mostly read this forum and think even bigger - my focus is on something far more important, ie. beating Boxxy's PR on BoxHill and reaching at least 300W FTP
    Thats it chum...think BIG..ha ha ha

I've always done loads of outdoor exercise/sport - surfinG, diving, cycling etc but I still love a few hours on HLDM. The wife cannot understand it funnily enough...
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Thats it chum...think BIG..ha ha ha
    I'll think outside the box..hill
    Last edited by portia; 5th July 2018 at 11:18 PM.

The only time an activity might have an edge is if what you do positively affects other people (eg. doing something together as a family/friends or being some small inspiration/motivation to others).
    This is the danger. Certain activities can be become so consuming they have a negative impact on health/relationships which does harm to others. No stranger really cares if you become an introverted slob who dies quietly in your room because you can't drag yourself away from something you're addicted to but it has an impact on the life/welfare of those related to/dependent on you. And you are likely to become a blight upon the health system which we all have to pay for.

You could argue the same about cycling: how it can become an obsession which negatively impacts on the same people or the health system if we fall off and injure something (or even in my case how I've induced a heart problem through over-exercise), but overall the positives in terms of health, both physical and mental, outweigh this.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 6th July 2018 at 9:25 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I think the only difference between life well spent and a wasted life is what you plan/aspire to do and what you actually do. If there's a discrepancy between the two, you've got a problem. If my genuine expectation/hope is that I'd do great things in life (eg. solve the problem of what happened before the big bang or cure cancer) but my plans never materialise because I ride a bike all the time, then I waste my life. If, on the other hand, sitting in front of the telly is something I genuinely want to do for the rest of my life because it brings me joy, etc., there's nothing you can say against it. It's a life well lived from my point of view.

In that respect, activities themselves do not have any intrinsic value, in my opinion. Pursuing one's intellectual dreams for one person can be equally valuable as watching Friends for another person as long as both are honest in their aspirations.

The only time an activity might have an edge is if what you do positively affects other people (eg. doing something together as a family/friends or being some small inspiration/motivation to others).

I used to read a lot of clever books and think big. Now I mostly read this forum and think even bigger - my focus is on something far more important, ie. beating Boxxy's PR on BoxHill and reaching at least 300W FTP
    Blimey, spot on...

You are the resident philosopher, as well as resident techie!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Digging your post, Ports. Don't worry about his time on there, go for the big boys ;p
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    My name is Marty Wild, I am disgusting, I am most certainly addicted to cycling.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Digging your post, Ports. Don't worry about his time on there, go for the big boys ;p
    Whoa!!...fighting talk there Chum!!